Significant defemce pacts with Qatar: PMbr /November 11th, 2008 - 3:51 am ICT by IANS
On Board Air India One, Nov 11 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has described as “very, very significant”, the two defence pacts that were signed with Qatar during his visit to the Gulf nation that concluded Monday.”The two agreements are very, very significant. They are not just about intelligence sharing but about maritime security as well,” he told reporters on board his special aircraft while returning home from a two-nation visit to the Gulf.
Describing the pacts as “one of a kind”, he said they had been in the pipeline for long and that he was glad they had been inked.
The two agreements - one on security and law enforcement and another on defence cooperation - were signed Sunday evening after Singh’s arrival in Doha on the first visit by an Indian prime minister to Qatar.
The security and law enforcement agreement lays out the framework for sharing of information and database on threats posed by terrorists, money laundering and smuggling of narcotics.
The pact on defence cooperation lays out a structure for training programmes by the two sides, exchange of goodwill missions and experts.
- India, Qatar to share data on terror threats, money-laundering - Nov 10, 2008
- India, Qatar deepen energy ties, seek to promote investments (News Analysis) - Apr 13, 2012
- India, Qatar sign oil pact, discuss Indians' welfare (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- India, Qatar to hold talks: Oil, Taliban on agenda - Apr 04, 2012
- India, Qatar sign oil and gas pact - Apr 09, 2012
- Antony to visit Saudi Arabia, Qatar - May 04, 2011
- India inked pacts with Gulf Countries for strategic, security demands: Krishna - Aug 18, 2010
- PM's Gulf visit a landmark in more ways than one - Nov 11, 2008
- Antony to visit Saudi Arabia, Qatar May 7-9 - May 03, 2011
- India-Saudi Arabia to enhance defence cooperation - Sep 10, 2012
- India, Qatar sign pacts on defence, security - Nov 10, 2008
- Indian economy doing well, no oil price cut: PM (Roundup) - Nov 11, 2008
- India asks Qatar for additional 3 mn tonnes of gas - Apr 23, 2012
- 'Qatar needs to ensure better protection of Indian workers' - Apr 07, 2012
- India, Qatar to ramp defence, economic, energy ties (Roundup, combining different series) - Nov 10, 2008