Siege at Jewish centre ends, two terrorists killed (Third Lead)November 29th, 2008 - 1:13 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Nov 28 (IANS) A raging gunbattle with terrorists at the Nariman House, a Jewish centre, ended Friday night after 48 hours with the crack National Security Guard (NSG) commandos killing two terrorists in an operation codenamed ‘Black Tornado’. A commando was killed in the gunbattle and the bodies of five hostages found.NSG Director General J.K. Dutt told reporters: “Two terrorists were killed during the operation.” He said the commandos launched a multi-pronged attack on the terrorists hiding inside the five-storey building - from the terrace and also from the lower floors.
He said commando Havaldar Gajendra Singh was killed in the gunbattle at Nariman House, also known as Chabad House, in Colaba.
“Gajendra Singh came in the line of fire. He received bullet injuries, but did not retreat. He continued going forward, and made the supreme sacrifice,” Dutt said.
The commandos had to tread carefully as they had to ensure that the hostages being held by the terrorists as well as the civilians living in the populated area were not injured.
While going to the second floor, the commandos found three bodies there. “They realised that they had been killed by the terrorists much earlier.”
Then a hiding terrorist lobbed a grenade at the NSG, but the commandos continued to go forward. On the fourth floor, they killed the two terrorists and found two more bodies. “They were victims of the terrorists,” Dutt said.
- High drama on final day of siege at Nariman House - Nov 29, 2008
- Five bodies found in Nariman House, two terrorists killed - Nov 28, 2008
- Bodies of Israeli rabbi, wife among five found in Nariman House - Nov 28, 2008
- Mumbai Chabad House 'home' for Baby Moshe, say grandparents - Nov 24, 2010
- Fresh firing at Taj hotel, Nariman House - Nov 28, 2008
- Five hostages dead in Mumbai's Jewish centre; two terrorists killed (Lead) - Nov 28, 2008
- Chabad House: still pocked with bullet marks, still remembering its rabbi (One year after 26/11) - Nov 16, 2009
- 26/11 hero glad his ayurveda treatment approved - Jul 22, 2011
- Terror denouement begins as Oberoi cleared, Pranab points to Pakistan (Afternoon Lead) - Nov 28, 2008
- Israel pays tribute to 26/11 victims at Mumbai's Jewish centre - Jan 14, 2010
- Chidambaram to pay homage to Mumbai terror attack victims - Nov 25, 2010
- Eight foreigners killed in Mumbai terror attack: official (Lead) - Nov 28, 2008
- As world watches, Mumbai terror kills 148, enters final phase (Night Lead) - Nov 29, 2008
- New weapons, better preparedness since 26/11: NSG chief (One Year after 26/11) - Nov 13, 2009
- Explosions rock terrorist-held building as commandos move in (Lead) - Nov 28, 2008