Sibal wants IIM boards to select chairman, directorMarch 31st, 2011 - 10:46 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, March 31 (IANS) The government is in favour of granting full autonomy to the boards of the state-run Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) to select their respective chairman and director, Human Resource Development Minister Kapil Sibal said Thursday.
“We want the IIM boards to select their respective chairman and director so that we (the government) distance ourselves from the (selection) process. The board can set up a search committee and give us the names to be appointed,” Sibal told reporters here.
Reiterating that the boards of B-schools should function cohesively and effectively, Sibal said the managements would given the kind of autonomy they need to function in an environment in which they can provide solutions to the government.
“The governance structures of the B-schools must also change. Their boards must be effective, cohesive and efficient. We want all stakeholders to be represented on the board,” Sibal said on the margins of the IIM-Bangalore 36th annual convocation.
Noting that the board must have a leadership of its choice to lead the institution, Sibal said the IIM-B was blessed with a leader (Mukesh Ambani of Reliance Industries Ltd) as its chairman, who has shown the global community how in the most difficult of circumstances, Indian companies could be global players.
“For him (Ambani) to chair for a second term and take the kind of interest is something I feel grateful for. It shows how our business community has realised that without excellence in education and investment in education, not in terms of just money but time, the country cannot move forward,” Sibal said.
- Government against privatising education, says Sibal - Mar 31, 2011
- Globalisation double-edged sword for India: Subbarao - Mar 30, 2012
- Eight IIM-B graduates awarded gold medals - Mar 30, 2012
- Global firms vie to grab Bangalore biz whizkids - Mar 24, 2012
- Global firms line up with offers for IIM-B grads - Nov 02, 2011
- Police hunt for Facebook lover for girlfriend's suicide - Sep 22, 2011
- Economic centre of gravity shifting to Asia: Mukesh Ambani - Mar 30, 2010
- External review, more autonomy for IIMs mooted - Nov 02, 2011
- IIM-B students skip lunch over Anna's arrest - Aug 17, 2011
- IIM-Lucknow signs accord with US B-school - Sep 01, 2011
- IIM-C looks to corporates to fund expansion - Apr 03, 2011
- Hardwork and dedication the mantra to crack CAT, say toppers - Jan 12, 2012
- Multinationals flock to IIM-Bangalore for internees - Nov 12, 2009
- Cabinet approves seven new IIMs (Lead) - Aug 27, 2009
- New IIMs won't dilute brand image: Sibal - Aug 29, 2009
Tags: ambani, autonomy, b schools, business community, convocation, development minister, excellence in education, global community, global players, governance structures, human resource development, iim b, iim bangalore, indian institutes of management, kapil sibal, reliance industries, reliance industries ltd, search committee, second term, selection process