Siachen avalanche: Pakistan welcomes India’s offerApril 9th, 2012 - 5:49 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, April 9 (IANS) Pakistan Monday appreciated India’s offer for assistance in the operation to rescue over a hundred soldiers trapped in an avalanche in Siachen.
The Pakistani Foreign Office termed New Delhi’s assistance offer as a “good gesture”, Online news agency reported.
The avalanche Saturday morning hit a camp of the Pakistan Army in the Gayari sector in Siachen, the world’s highest battle-ground. At least 139 soldiers and civilians are still trapped under snow.
The avalanche incident was discussed during the meeting of Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari and Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in New Delhi Sunday, it said.
A US rescue team has reached Pakistan to assist in the rescue operation.
Army spokesperson Major General Athar Abbas said: “It would be a miracle if any survivor is found.”
- Hope fading fast for Pakistan avalanche victims - Apr 09, 2012
- Tunnels dug to reach Pakistan avalanche victims - Apr 11, 2012
- 'Rescue work on for missing Siachen avalanche victims' - Apr 13, 2012
- Equipment of buried Pakistani soldiers found in Siachen - May 22, 2012
- 100 Pakistani troops buried in Siachen avalanche (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- Siachen avalanche: Two more bodies found - Jun 05, 2012
- Kayani monitors Siachen rescue operations - Apr 08, 2012
- US offers help in Pakistan avalanche rescue - Apr 09, 2012
- Siachen avalanche tragedy: Manmohan offers help to Pakistan - Apr 08, 2012
- US, Chinese teams head to Pakistan avalanche site - Apr 15, 2012
- China assists Pakistan avalanche victim search - Apr 14, 2012
- India, Pakistan gain nothing from Siachen: Pakistan minister - Jun 03, 2012
- Pakistani soldier's body recovered in Siachen - May 27, 2012
- Pakistan does a U-turn, says no change in Siachen policy - Apr 19, 2012
- Pakistan avalanche buries 135 people - Apr 08, 2012
Tags: abbas, army spokesperson, asif ali zardari, athar, avalanche incident, foreign office, gesture, indian prime minister, indian prime minister manmohan singh, manmohan, manmohan singh, miracle, New Delhi, news agency, pakistan army, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, saturday morning, soldiers and civilians, survivor