Shutdown in Malegaon to protest alleged police beatingOctober 23rd, 2008 - 9:55 pm ICT by IANS
Malegaon (Maharashtra), Oct 23 (IANS) An all-party shutdown was observed in Malegaon Thursday to protest the “savage beating” of five Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) office bearers, allegedly by the police, three days ago. The MNS functionaries have filed a court complaint against the police, stating that on Tuesday they were encircled by about 25 commandos and severely thrashed after being deceitfully taken to a spot outside the town where they had enforced a road blockade earlier protesting their leader Raj Thackeray’s arrest in Ratnagiri that day.
“We were told to get down at the road blockade spot, encircled by the commandos who were ordered to beat us to death,” said Shriram Sonawne, a functionary whose hand was fractured in the alleged beating.
The five, who have suffered fractures in their hands, legs and ribs, were taken to the government hospital in Nashik Wednesday after their statements were recorded by the local court in Malegaon.
The court has ordered the Nashik district civil surgeon to examine the wounds and submit a report within two days, Gawli said.
While additional superintendent of police Sanjay Patil denied the allegations, superintendent of police Nikhil Gupta told IANS that appropriate action will be taken against whoever is found guilty in the incident being probed by the court.
- Raj Thackeray attacks Maharashtra government on toll tax - Jun 12, 2012
- MNS bags Nashik mayor's post - with BJP support - Mar 15, 2012
- MNS activists attack toll posts across Maharashtra - Jun 13, 2012
- Court seeks report on plea against Raj Thackeray - Sep 13, 2012
- Thousands march in Mumbai to protest violence (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Nine killed as tempo rams into truck - Nov 30, 2011
- Four nabbed for setting on fire raiding senior officer (Third Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- Bihar Day: Shiv Sena non-confrontationist, MNS belligerent - Apr 13, 2012
- Raj Thackeray asks people to stop paying toll tax - Jul 24, 2012
- Raj Thackeray to take out march even if refused permission - Aug 20, 2012
- Four killed in Maharashtra accident - Jun 29, 2012
- Raj Thackeray's security guard threatens truck driver - Mar 28, 2011
- Another key accused in 2008 Malegaon blast held (Lead) - Feb 01, 2011
- Maharashtra opposition slams government on Kripashankar - Mar 02, 2012
- Mumbai Police gear up for MNS march - Aug 21, 2012