Shutdown in Himachal varsity, students miss classesAugust 13th, 2012 - 9:17 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Aug 13 (IANS) Over 100,000 students of the Himachal Pradesh University had to miss their classes Monday owing to a day- long strike called by various student outfits over the recommendation made by colleges to discontinue direct elections for the students’ union.
The call was given jointly by Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP), National Students Union of India (NSUI) and Students Federation of India (SFI) after college heads asked Vice-Chancellor A.D.N. Bajpai to disallow direct polls for the Students Central Association.
“The shutdown was complete in all private and government affiliated colleges. Even in the Himachal Pradesh University campus, the strike was complete,” said ABVP’s state secretary Ajay Bherta.
The joint coordination committee of students’ organisations has also threatened to intensify their agitations if the dates of the Student Central Association polls were not declared immediately.
No incident of violence was reported from anywhere in the state during the shutdown.
A university spokesperson Monday said Vice-Chancellor Bajpai discussed the issue with the students and the final decision on the polls would be taken in the executive council meeting scheduled to be held here Tuesday.
- Polling begins in Delhi University and JNU - Sep 14, 2012
- SFI wins Himachal university polls - Aug 23, 2012
- Delhi University all set for polls Friday - Sep 13, 2012
- DUSU polls end, results on Saturday (Lead) - Sep 14, 2012
- Delhi University goes to poll Friday amidst tight security - Sep 02, 2010
- JNU goes to students' union polls Friday - Sep 13, 2012
- JNU painted Red as AISA sweeps polls (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Anna helps ABVP defeat NSUI in Delhi varsity polls - Sep 10, 2011
- ABVP sweeps DUSU elections - Sep 04, 2010
- ABVP tops in Delhi University polls - Sep 04, 2010
- Delhi University election results announced - Sep 10, 2011
- ABVP repeats 2002 performance, tops Delhi University polls (Lead) - Sep 04, 2010
- Student's clash: Congress calls strike in Tripura - May 22, 2011
- Universities seek financial autonomy - Oct 02, 2011
- 40 percent turnout in Delhi varsity student union polls (Lead) - Sep 04, 2010
Tags: abvp, ajay, colleges, coordination committee, elections, executive council, final decision, himachal pradesh university, India, national students, nsui, polls, sfi, spokesperson, state secretary, students union, vice chancellor, violence