Shutdown in Chhattisgarh against Ramdev’s evictionJune 8th, 2011 - 10:42 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, June 8 (IANS) Normal life was hit Wednesday in urban areas across Chhattisgarh with offices remaining closed and petrol vends shutting down to protest a police crackdown on yoga guru Baba Ramdev in New Delhi last week.
The shutdown was called by Patanjali Yoga Samiti and was backed by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), which ruels Chhattisgarh.
Roads bore a deserted look in state capital Raipur and industrial towns Raigarh, Bhilai and Korba, besides the state’s second most populous town Bilaspur.
“The shutdown hit life mainly in urban areas but it was total peaceful. People remained indoors and shopkeepers kept their shutters down. Petrol pumps and even government offices largely remained closed,” officials at the police headquarters here told IANS.
The shutdown did not have much impact on rural areas.
The yoga guru was on a fast against corruption in New Delhi at the time of police crackdown.
- Chhattisgarh shutdown hits normal life (Lead) - Feb 13, 2010
- BJP-called shutdown hits normal life in Chhattisgarh - Feb 13, 2010
- Chhattisgarh shutdown against hiked excise duty on gold - Mar 30, 2012
- Chhattisgarh shuts down to protest Maoist massacre (Lead) - Apr 08, 2010
- Chhattisgarh shuts down to protest Maoist massacre (Second Lead) - Apr 08, 2010
- Explosives found in abandoned car in Chhattisgarh - Jul 14, 2011
- Shutdown cripples life in Chhattisgarh - May 31, 2012
- Chhattisgarh shuts down against FDI in retail - Dec 01, 2011
- Chhattisgarh supports Anna, 80 court arrest (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Traders, students join Anna's protest in Chhattisgarh - Aug 18, 2011
- Crowds swell in Chhattisgarh to support Anna - Aug 17, 2011
- Shutdown affects life, coal transport in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Jul 05, 2010
- Chhattisgarh Left parties rally behind Anna - Aug 23, 2011
- Congress shutdown against Maoist attack hits Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Jul 14, 2009
- Shutdown paralyses life in Chhattisgarh - Jul 05, 2010
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bhilai, bjp, chhattisgarh, corruption, eviction, government offices, korba, most populous town, New Delhi, petrol pumps, police crackdown, police headquarters, raipur, ramdev, rural areas, shutters, urban areas, yoga guru