Shutdown by Dalit groups in AndhraJanuary 30th, 2012 - 11:13 am ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Jan 30 (IANS) A day-long shutdown began in Andhra Pradesh Monday on a call given by Dalit groups to protest the recent desecration of statues of B.R. Ambedkar.
Schools, colleges, shops and business establishments remained closed in many districts while protestors blocked roads to stop buses of state-owned Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (APSRTC).
Student organistaions, especially Osmania University student Joint Action Committee has also called for a shutdown to protest the desecration of statues in Amlapuram and other parts of East Godavari district.
Opposition Telugu Desam Party (TDP), Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS), left parties, and people’s organizations have extended their support for the bandh.
Police in Hyderabad are on high alert after three vehicles were burnt by protestors Sunday night.
A private bus was set afire at Chilkalguda in Secunderabad early Monday. Earlier, a bus of APSRTC was torched in Ramanthapur while a private van was destroyed in Tarnaka.
Police have sealed all the routes around Osmania University in Hyderabad to prevent students from taking out a rally.
Madiga Reservation Porata Samithi (MRPS) and students groups have planned protests in Hyderabad.
Three people were arrested for damaging the Ambedkar statues.
According to the police, the accused resorted to the act in an inebriated condition and ruled out conspiracy by any political or caste group.
- Three held for desecration of Ambedkar statues in Andhra (Lead, With corrections in paras 10, 11) - Jan 28, 2012
- Three held for desecration of Ambedkar statues in Andhra - Jan 28, 2012
- Ambedkar's statue again desecrated in Andhra - Jan 26, 2012
- Telangana shutdown hits life in region (Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Clashes over desecration of Ambedkar statues - Jan 23, 2012
- Praja Rajyam Party legislators protest baton charge on social activists in Hyderabad - Dec 06, 2010
- Another shutdown hits life in Telangana - Aug 10, 2011
- Two-day Telangana shutdown begins, bus transport paralysed - Jul 05, 2011
- Life paralysed as 48-hour Telangana shutdown begins (Lead) - Jul 05, 2011
- Telangana shutdown hits normal life - Jul 22, 2011
- Protests continue for Telangana - Feb 22, 2010
- Telangana shutdown paralyses life (Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
- Beef festival turns Osmania into battlefied, student stabbed - Apr 16, 2012
- Dalit group seeks action against Andhra home minister - Dec 24, 2011
- Shutdown cripples Andhra Pradesh - May 31, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,