Shukla attacks Raj for campaign against north IndiansNovember 2nd, 2008 - 5:53 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Nov 2 (IANS) Congress veteran and nine-time MP Vidya Charan Shukla Sunday hit out against Maharashtra Navnirman Sena chief Raj Thackeray for campaigning against north Indians and described his movement “dangerous for the country’s integrity”.”It’s highly condemnable… it must not happen because it weakens the country,” Shukla told reporters here.
Talking about the upcoming assembly polls in Chhattisgarh Nov 14 and 20, Shukla said: “The BJP government is on its way out because of its misdeeds and flawed policies.”
Shukla is largely held responsible for the ouster of the Congress government in the November 2003 assembly polls when he left the party to join the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) and created a movement against the then Ajit Jogi-led government.
The NCP contested 89 out of 90 seats, but bagged just one. It, however, polled over seven percent votes, ensuring defeat for the Congress on as many as 18 seats.
After the assembly polls, Shukla joined the BJP and contested the Lok Sabha polls from his home seat Mahasamund in 2004 where he lost to Congress’ Ajit Jogi by a margin of over 100,000 votes. He re-joined the Congress early this year.
Rejecting charges that ticket-allotments were made in the Congress for the November polls based on loyalty to individuals rather than to the party, the 78-year-old leader said: “The candidates’ potential is the lone consideration.”
Shukla claimed that Congress would bag at least 50 seats in the coming assembly polls.
- Ajit Jogi waits to use robotic legs - Mar 09, 2012
- Congress workers to court arrests in Chhattisgarh - Dec 05, 2011
- Widow of MNS legislator joins NCP - Sep 22, 2011
- Old rivals Shukla and Jogi lobby for Rajya Sabha berth - May 14, 2010
- Hectic lobbying on for new Chhattisgarh Congress chief - Mar 21, 2011
- BJP member files nomination for Rajya Sabha polls - Jun 02, 2010
- Bypoll in Chhhattisgarh begins on dull note - Oct 01, 2010
- Nearly 70 percent polling in Chhattisgarh assembly by-poll (Lead) - Oct 01, 2010
- V.C. Shukla wants to contest but can't decide on what seat - Mar 02, 2009
- Congress faces setback in Andhra, Trinamool wins UP bypoll (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
- BJP keeps Maoist issue alive in Chhattisgarh: Congress - Jun 09, 2011
- Factionalism widens in Chhattisgarh Congress after bypoll loss - Feb 19, 2011
- Congress, NCP tie up to check BJP in Chhattisgarh - Oct 30, 2008
- Chhattisgarh gets new chief secretary - Feb 07, 2012
- Madhya Pradesh bypoll turns prestige issue for Congress, BJP - Jun 24, 2011