Shootout in Delhi, four injured (Lead)January 19th, 2009 - 7:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 19 (IANS) Four suspected bank robbers were critically injured by the police in a gun battle in the heart of south Delhi’s Green Park area.Joint Commissioner of Police (Southern Range) Ajay Kashyap said the firing broke out around 4 p.m. when the police waylaid a vehicle carrying the criminals.
A brief gun battle erupted on the street, outside a playschool sandwiched between the Green Park and Yusuf Sarai markets.
IANS journalist Ranjana Narayan, who was on her way to work, heard rapid gunfire shots around 4 p.m.
Residents said an unmarked police vehicle crashed into a car carrying the criminals, bringing it to a sudden halt.
As a couple of policemen leaped from their vehicle, flashing weapons and asking bystanders to move away, gun shots rang out.
“I heard gunfire for two or three minutes at least,” said Narayan, who took shelter behind a cemented dustbin along with several others.
Minutes later, she saw four men sprawled on the road, two of them soaked in blood.
- The crack-crack of bullets, and then four 'bodies' (First Person) - Jan 19, 2009
- Family taken hostage, inspector shot dead by gangsters in UP - Apr 18, 2012
- Gangsters take family hostage, shoot dead cop in UP (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Professor critically wounded in Ghaziabad - Aug 21, 2012
- Gunshots reported near White House - Nov 12, 2011
- Three men abduct driver, rob car in Delhi - May 29, 2012
- Shooting In State Park Kills 2, Injures 4 - Jul 19, 2010
- Five guerrillas killed in Kashmir - Jul 07, 2012
- New York gunman kills one; shot dead (Third Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Blast, gunbattle rock Kabul shopping mall (Lead) - Feb 14, 2011
- Youth who helped nab killer cop dies - Sep 27, 2011
- 10 US schools locked down after gun battle: report - Oct 29, 2011
- Three killed in shootings near Texas A&M; University (Second lead) - Aug 14, 2012
- Daylight shootout in Delhi; four bank robbers injured (Third Lead) - Jan 19, 2009
- Two bank robbers killed in Jharkhand gun battle - Feb 10, 2011