Shooting in upmarket Indian restaurant in BirminghamFebruary 16th, 2008 - 4:14 pm ICT by admin
Birmingham, Feb 16 (IANS) Armed men opened fire at a trendy Indian restaurant here, creating panic among diners. However, no one was reported hurt, police said Saturday. Police sealed off Cafe Lazeez at the downtown retail centre, The Mailbox, Friday night after several shots were fired and diners fled.
A spokesperson for West Midlands Police said: “Police were called to a firearms incident. At this stage it is believed that a number of shots were discharged at the premises. There have been no reports of anyone injured at this stage. Officers are pursuing a number of lines of inquiry.”
Eyewitnesses said three or four men walked into the restaurant just after 9.45 p.m. and fired 10-15 shots before walking out.
“They walked out. Not only did they walk in cool as cucumbers, they walked out cool as cucumbers. But once they were out of the restaurant, they ran like rabbits,” said one man.
“I went over to the window which overlooks the restaurant and could see people clambering over each other like ants, trying to get out,” said another witness, a BBC employee.
“People were fleeing in desperation. It looked like they were running for their lives. Initially I thought an explosive device had been detonated in there because that’s what it felt like.”
The Mailbox is a popular weekend destination as the building contains shops, restaurants, hotels, offices and 144 apartments.
Cafe Lazeez, with branches in London and Birmingham and Indian chefs serving both, is considered among the smarter of the new breed of Indian restaurants in Britain. The Birmingham restaurant has been described by one publication as “… a trendy modern restaurant for the city with an Indian flavour”.
- Two arrested after shooting in trendy Indian restaurant - Feb 16, 2008
- Indian platter goes casual; eateries reap bounty - Oct 23, 2011
- Indian parantha with American omelette - enjoy! (Eating out with IANS) - Jun 14, 2010
- Wayne Rooney's fiery verbal spat with wife Coleen - Oct 26, 2010
- Shooter kills two others, self in California restaurant - Jun 20, 2010
- It was scary, says Sikh leader in Britain - Aug 10, 2011
- Seven arrested in anti-terrorism raid in Britain - Sep 19, 2011
- British police arrest twelve terror suspects - Dec 20, 2010
- Coolers, sheds, mangos...beating summer blues at Delhi Zoo - May 09, 2012
- Seven more held in Britain for terror offences - Jul 06, 2012
- Transplant organ remains unscathed after jet crashes in flames in UK - Nov 20, 2010
- British Sikh TV presenter is now Facebook hero - Aug 12, 2011
- Man leaves behind $1 million in Australian restaurant - Nov 23, 2011
- British police release CCTV footage of rioters - Aug 11, 2011
- Four held in Britain on terrorism charges - Nov 15, 2011