Shoe throwing at Bush evokes mixed reaction in Iraq (Second lead)December 15th, 2008 - 4:58 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Dec 15 (DPA) An Iraqi television news reporter threw shoes at US President George W. Bush and called him a “dog” in Arabic, during a press conference in Baghdad Sunday, evoking mixed reaction from the Iraqis.Bush, who was on a farewell visit to Iraq, was addressing the press conference with Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki when the assault took place.
The assailant, identified as Montasser Al-Saidi, a reporter for al-Baghdadiyia television, was removed from the room by security staff. None of the two projectiles made contact with their apparent target.
The US president made light of the incident, saying “whoever it interests - it was a size 10 that he threw at me.”
While some quarters hailed the journalist’s action, some others condemned the incident.
“We congratulate him for his act,” said the government critical Iraqi News Agency (INA) Monday, speaking of al-Saidi.
The Sunni Council of Religious Scholars spoke of the demonstration as an “historic moment” in which Bush and the world were shown “what Iraqis think of the occupation.”
Ziad al-Ajili, chairman of the Iraq’s Organization for Press Freedom, however condemned al-Saidi’s “unprofessional behaviour.”
In Arab cultures being attacked with shoes is a sign of profound disrespect, as is being called a dog.
- Iraqi reporter throws shoes at Bush, calls him 'dog' (Lead) - Dec 15, 2008
- Shoe-throwing Iraqi journalist released - Sep 15, 2009
- Shoe-throwing Iraqi journalist's trial adjourned - Feb 19, 2009
- Iraqi shoe thrower's release delayed by a day, says his brother - Sep 14, 2009
- Shoe-throwing Iraqi journalist gets three years in prison (Second Lead) - Mar 12, 2009
- Sentence of Iraqi shoe-throwing journalist reduced - Apr 07, 2009
- Bush arrives in Afghanistan after eventful Iraqi visit - Dec 15, 2008
- Iraq to get 40 Boeing planes - Apr 13, 2012
- Shoe-throwing Iraqi journalist alleges torture (Lead) - Sep 15, 2009
- Iraqi court sentences fugitive vice president to death - Sep 09, 2012
- Shoe throwing Iraqi journalist's release from jail postponed by a day - Sep 14, 2009
- Biden pays surprise visit to Iraq - Nov 30, 2011
- Iraqi shoe-thrower coming to Delhi to watch play on him - Mar 07, 2011
- No hard feelings over shoe incident: White House - Dec 17, 2008
- Iraqi parliamentary race remains close - Mar 15, 2010