Shoaib’s return hinges on court verdictOctober 5th, 2008 - 5:55 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Oct 5 (IANS) Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) will consider Shoaib Akhtar for selection for the Twenty20 tournament in Canada, though a final decision to clear his trip will only be taken when Lahore High Court issues its verdict on non-payment of his fine Wednesday.The PCB had filed a writ against Shoaib in the LHC over non-payment of Rs 7 million fine which was slapped by the board for his repeated breaches of discipline.
Pakistani selectors are expected to announce the squad for the Twenty20 event Monday.
“The (national) selectors can pick Shoaib in the squad if they are sure about his form and match fitness,” PCB’s media chief Mansoor Sohail told IANS.
“But the final decision on whether to sent Shoaib to Canada with the team will only be taken on Oct 8 after a hearing of the Lahore High Court,” he added.
Shoaib was in the preliminary squad for the event that also features Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe and hosts Canada.
Even if Shoaib is picked, the fast bowler will only be sent to Canada if he settles the fine, Sohail said.
According to Sohail, if selectors pick Shoaib in the squad then they will be asked to select an additional player in case the Rawalpindi Express is dropped from the team at the last moment.
Shoaib proved his form and fitness in Islamabad’s Leopards opening game against Peshawar Panthers in the National Twenty Championship in Lahore, bowling four overs at a decent pace and took the wicket of former Pakistan opener Wajahutullah Wasti to finish with 1-30 in a 14-run defeat of Leopards Saturday night.
It was his first competitive outing in Pakistan in several months as he proved his fitness ahead of a four-nation Twenty20 contest in Toronto to be played from Oct 10-13.
- Yousuf gets a chance to make cut for World Cup probables - Dec 20, 2010
- Afridi wanted Shoaib Malik, not Younis Khan - Oct 21, 2010
- Pakistan names cricket squad for T20 World Cup - Jul 18, 2012
- Shoaib Akhtar included in provisional squad for Canada T20 tournament - Sep 18, 2008
- PCB recalls Younus to Test and T20 squads, overlooks Malik, Akmal, Yousuf - Dec 01, 2010
- Abdul Qadir resigned due to "lack of independence", dispute over Akhtar's selection - Dec 29, 2010
- Pakistan names World Cup squad minus Yousuf, mystery prevails over skipper - Jan 19, 2011
- Afridi, Waqar wanted Malik, not Younis to replace Yousuf for South Africa series - Oct 21, 2010
- Akhtar makes Pakistan comeback - Oct 07, 2008
- Pakistan pick new faces for Zimbabwe tour - Jul 28, 2011
- Pace bowler Sohail Tanvir included in Pakistan squad for New Zealand tour - Dec 28, 2010
- Pakistan drop Riaz over spot-fixing links - Nov 21, 2011
- Shoaib Malik to lead Pakistan in Hong Kong - Oct 18, 2010
- Akmal rejoicing return to Pakistan team - Jan 05, 2011
- Shoaib Akhtar in, Md Yousuf out of Pak squad for T20 tournament in Canada - Oct 08, 2008