Shivraj Patil visits riot-hit OrissaSeptember 3rd, 2008 - 3:33 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Sep 3 (IANS) Home Minister in the central government Shivraj Patil arrived here Wednesday along with several officials for an on the spot assessment of the situation in Orissa’s riot-hit areas, an official said.Patil will visit the worst hit Kandhamal district, meet victims and look at the relief measures taken by the state government, a home department official said here.
He will also review the situation in the district headquarter of Phulbani, he said.
The Supreme Court Wednesday directed the Orissa government to submit a report by Thursday on the steps taken to protect lives of people in riot-hit areas.
In Orissa, life is limping back to normalcy where communal strife has claimed 16 lives, the police said Wednesday.
Inspector General of Police Pradeep Kapur said that the worst-hit Kandhamal and Koraput districts had reported no breach of law and order Tuesday and early Wednesday.
“But the possibility of fresh violence can never be ruled out. We are here to intervene promptly if such things happen,” said Kapur, camping in Kandhamal.
The violence erupted after Swami Lakshmanananda Saraswati of the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) and four others were killed by unidentified gunmen at his ashram in Kandhamal Aug 23.
The police said that Maoists were responsible for the killing. But blaming Christians for the murders, thousands of Hindus attacked Christian homes and churches.
The government deployed police and paramilitary forces in 12 of Orissa’s 30 districts. Curfew was imposed in Kandhamal and in a part of Koraput.
- Normalcy returning to violence-hit Orissa - Sep 03, 2008
- Orissa gives subsidised rice to riots victims - Oct 25, 2010
- BJP criticises permission for EU team's Kandhamal visit - Feb 06, 2010
- Kandhamal riots: Jail term for 13 - May 18, 2011
- BJP legislator surrenders after apex court rejects bail - Mar 09, 2011
- EU delegation meets Christian leaders in Orissa - Feb 05, 2010
- Kandhamal riots case: Man gets three-year jail term - Sep 29, 2010
- 8 get three-year jail in Kandhamal riots case - Sep 25, 2010
- 14 get jail terms for Kandhamal riots - Nov 20, 2010
- EU team meets Kandhamal riot victims - Feb 04, 2010
- EU team meets Kandhamal riot victims (Lead) - Feb 04, 2010
- Two more killed as Assam-Meghalaya border tense - Jan 10, 2011
- Suspected Maoists blow up ambulance, three dead - Nov 28, 2010
- BJP lawmaker gets jail for murder in Kandhamal riots - Sep 09, 2010
- Curfew re-imposed in Meghalaya's riot-hit areas - Jan 09, 2011