Shiv Sainiks storm Times Of India office (Lead)January 28th, 2012 - 4:30 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 28 (IANS) More than 50 angry Shiv Sena activists Saturday afternoon stormed into the Times Of India building here and damaged furniture and fittings in the reception areas of the newspaper office.
They were protesting against a report published in Maharashtra Times, the Marathi language daily of the ToI Group, allegedly speculating that party MP from Amravati, Anandrao Adsul, was planning to defect to the Nationalist Congress Party.
Adsul and his son, legislator Abhijit, as well as another party MP and Saamna (the Shiv Sena mouthpiece) editor Sanjay Raut, indirectly supported the attack on grounds that the activists were provoked in view of baseless and unconfirmed reports published by the Maharashtra Times.
Later, Abhijit Adsul attempted to shirk responsibility claiming that the attackers did not belong to the party and could have been ordinary people.
Police were summoned and they managed to gain control over the situation. Around a dozen of the attackers were detained, ToI officials said.
- Journalists' delegation meets Chavan to seek action on attack - Feb 01, 2012
- Press Club condemns Times of India attack - Jan 28, 2012
- Shiv Sainiks storm Times Of India office, damage reception (Second Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Scribes protest frequent attacks in Maharashtra - Feb 03, 2012
- Shiv Sena youth activists attack Mumbai college - Mar 11, 2011
- Top Lok Sabha performers to be awarded in Chennai - Apr 07, 2012
- Dismissed Belgaum council members seek Thackeray's support - Jul 08, 2012
- Congress, NCP bicker in Maharashtra; Sena for central rule - Feb 01, 2012
- On eve of Rahul Gandhi visit, Congress hits back at Shiv Sena - Feb 04, 2010
- Shiv Sena got Rs.5 bn to oppose Jaitapur: Narayan Rane - Apr 21, 2011
- Shiv Sainiks attack daily's office - Jan 28, 2012
- India blasts Thackeray for taking on Sachin the legend (Roundup) - Nov 16, 2009
- Yuva Sena, MNS create ruckus in Mumbai college - Mar 11, 2011
- Rahul slams Sena, says India for all Indians - Feb 02, 2010
- Shiv Sena threatens Shahrukh Khan for "supporting" Pakistan players - Jan 29, 2010
Tags: activists, amravati, attackers, furniture, india office, jan 28, legislator, maharashtra times, marathi language, mouthpiece, mp, nationalist congress party, newspaper office, ordinary people, raut, reception areas, sanjay, saturday afternoon, shiv sena, times of india