Shirdi temple gets new trustees (Second Lead)March 28th, 2012 - 3:38 pm ICT by IANS
Shirdi (Maharashtra), March 28 (IANS) Moving swiftly to meet a court deadline, the Maharashtra government has appointed a new board of trustees for a trust that manages the reverred Shirdi Sai Baba temple here.
The new panel replaces the old set, sacked earlier this month, an official said Wednesday.
The Bombay High Court had set a Wednesday deadline for forming the new Shri Saibaba Sansthan Trust (SSST) board. It is ranked among the top five richest religious trusts in India with assets worth nearly Rs.20 billion.
Veteran Congress member Jayant Sasane, who was chairman in the outgoing board, has made a comeback to the post for another three years. Two other trustees have also been retained.
The other trustees include Ghanshyam Shelar, Radhakrishna Vikhe-Patil, Surendra Kharde, Rajendra Pipada, Snehalata Kolhe, Ajit Kadam, Patingrao Shelke, Minnath Pandey, Namdeo Gunjal, Sumitra Kote, Suresh Wadhwa and Vilas Kute.
The other three names are likely to be announced shortly, an official from SSST said.
On March 13, the Bombay High Court’s Aurangabad bench sacked the 18 members of the Shirdi-based SSST, jolting the ruling Congress-Nationalist Congress Party controlled body.
Judges Naresh Patil and T.V. Nalawade warned that unless the government appointed a new committee in 15 days, the court would hand over the SSST management to court-appointed administrators.
The order followed a public suit by social activist Sandeep Kulkarni who alleged that the SSST managing committee misappropriated funds worth Rs.2 billion.
The outgoing SSST managing committee’s three-year tenure expired in 2007. But the government did not appoint a new one, allowing the trustees to continue with annual extensions, Kulkarni said.
The SSST is the governing and administrative body of the Shri Saibaba temple and all other temples in the premises. The temples reportedly collect around Rs.12.50 million a day in offerings and donations.
- Shirdi temple: new trustees appointed (Lead, changing dateline) - Mar 28, 2012
- Shirdi temple: new trustees appointed - Mar 28, 2012
- Court stays new Shirdi temple board of trustees - Mar 30, 2012
- Court sacks 18 Saibaba temple trustees (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Court sacks 18 Saibaba temple trustees - Mar 13, 2012
- Mumbai businessman offers silver throne for Shirdi Saibaba (With Image) - Mar 23, 2012
- Shutdown in Shirdi, villagers go on hunger strike - Apr 20, 2011
- Saibaba Temple gets diamonds worth Rs.1.18 crore - Aug 01, 2012
- Saibaba's sandals will not be taken to Britain - Aug 23, 2010
- Travelator to make Shirdi Sai Baba temple visit hassle-free - Nov 09, 2011
- Shirdi temple trust to honour Tendulkar - Apr 04, 2011
- Replica of Shirdi Sai Baba temple in Mumbai - Dec 14, 2011
- Shirdi trust moots action against 'duplicate' Sai temples - Nov 11, 2010
- Shirdi's Sai Baba temple goes green with solar steam cooking system - Oct 20, 2010
- Court stops demolition of school building - Jun 15, 2011
Tags: administrative body, aurangabad, bombay high court, congress member, court deadline, jayant, kadam, kute, maharashtra government, managing committee, nationalist congress party, new committee, outgoing board, shirdi sai baba temple, shri saibaba, social activist, sumitra, surendra, three names, wadhwa