Shirdi set for three-day Gurupournima festivalJuly 16th, 2008 - 12:46 pm ICT by IANS
Shirdi (Maharashtra), July 16 (IANS) The temple of 20th century saint Shri Sai Baba here is all set for a grand celebration of Gurupournima, a special day that extols the lofty guru-shishya (teacher-student) tradition. The temple trust, called the Sai Baba Sansthan, has chalked out a three-day programme beginning Thursday to mark the occasion meant for the pupil to express gratitude to the teacher and for the teacher to shower benediction on his pupil.
The shrine trustees say Gurupournima, also called Vyaspournima after sage Vyas who is believed to have written the epic “Mahabharata”, is celebrated annually by Sai Baba’s followers.
The festival will begin with pre-dawn prayers (kakad arati). Following that, a grand procession of Sai Baba’s portrait and biography will be taken out through this town, about 300 km from state capital Mumbai.
A continuous recitation (akhand parayan) of “Saicharitra” - the story of Sai Baba’s life, distribution of a sanctified mixture of savouries and dahi-handi (a game in which youngsters form a human pyramid to break earthen pots carrying curd hanging at daunting heights, a la Lord Krishna and his playmates) will be the other highlights of the festival.
The Sai Temple has become one of the most popular pilgrimage destinations in India. On an average, 50,000 people visit Shirdi daily, more on holidays.
- Replica of Shirdi Sai Baba temple in Mumbai - Dec 14, 2011
- Shirdi Trust to observe three-day Gurupournima Festival - Jul 15, 2008
- Shirdi temple trust to honour Tendulkar - Apr 04, 2011
- Saibaba Temple gets diamonds worth Rs.1.18 crore - Aug 01, 2012
- Travelator to make Shirdi Sai Baba temple visit hassle-free - Nov 09, 2011
- Shirdi trust moots action against 'duplicate' Sai temples - Nov 11, 2010
- Sai Baba's ashram resumes celebrating festivals - May 17, 2011
- Animated film on Shirdi Sai Baba to spread love, brotherhood - Oct 17, 2011
- Spanish flavour for 'dahi-handi' festival this year - Aug 19, 2011
- With Sai Baba gone, Puttaparthy faces uncertainty - Apr 28, 2011
- Sacred sandals of Shirdi Sai Baba travel to London - Aug 20, 2010
- Youth succumbs to injuries received in dahi-handi fest - Sep 05, 2010
- Mumbai offers insurance to Ganeshotsav revelers - Aug 08, 2012
- Insurance cover sought for Mumbai festival revellers - Jul 13, 2012
- One killed, 40 hurt in Dahi-Handi revelry in Maharashtra - Aug 10, 2012