Ship crew survive mishap off Kerala coastMarch 29th, 2008 - 6:28 pm ICT by admin
Kozhikode, March 29 (IANS) Six crewmembers of a dhow, which capsized 56 km off Beypore coast in Arabian Sea Thursday, had a miraculous escape and reached ashore Friday. The dhow (wooden ship) was on its journey from Beypore port, 10 km from Kozhikode city, to Agatti in Lakshadweep carrying cargo.
The vessel got stranded in sea after its engine failed. The crew were trying to bring back the vessel to Beypore when it capsized.
The crewmembers clung to the wooden mast and reached ashore at Tanur, about 60 km south of Beypore, Friday morning.
“We cut the mast and put it in sea and clung to it. We were adrift for the whole night. At around six this morning we reached Tanur coast,” said P.K. Vinod, one of the crewmembers.
Of the six crewmembers, three are from Gujarat, two from Tamil Nadu and one from Kerala.
- Two Coast Guard stations established in Arabian Sea to safeguard India's interest - Dec 24, 2010
- US forces rescue six more Iranian sailors - Jan 11, 2012
- Indian Coast Guard rescue two Australian sailors - Oct 19, 2011
- India establishes naval base in Lakshadweep - Apr 30, 2012
- Pirates seize Indian vessel with 14 crew off Oman (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Indian cargo ship hijacked by Somali pirates off Oman - Jan 12, 2011
- Antony lays foundation stone of warship facility in Kerala - Jan 04, 2011
- Navy warship on anti-piracy patrol intercepts foreign dhow (Lead) - Dec 04, 2010
- Coast Guard plane chases pirates away off Lakshadweep - Jan 28, 2011
- Government fast pacing indigenisation of military hardware: Antony (Lead) - Jan 04, 2011
- Indian Navy apprehends suspicious dhow near Lakshadweep - Dec 04, 2010
- Contact established with more missing Tamil Nadu fishermen - Nov 15, 2009
- India on radar of terrorists, getting threats everyday: Antony - Dec 24, 2010
- 31 die in Bangladesh boat capsize (Third Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Tamil Nadu boat capsize kills 13 (Lead) - Dec 25, 2011