Shilpa and Kundra enter IPL, buy stake in Rajasthan Royals (Lead)February 3rd, 2009 - 3:18 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Feb 3 (IANS) Bollywood actor Shilpa Shetty and London-based NRI businessman Raj Kundra Tuesday bought a 12 percent stake in the Indian Premier League (IPL) team Rajasthan Royals.The couple has invested $15.4 million in the team, which was bought by London-based Emerging Media Group for $67 million.
Shilpa called it a strategic business investment and said: “I completely relate to Rajasthan Royals. My story is similar to the team’s journey to the top. It is an honour to be a part of Rajasthan Royals.”
“Whenever the team needs me I will always pitch in. I will be the moral support of my team. The team needed an Indian owner and so I am here,” she added.
With the tie-up, Shilpa becomes the fourth Bollywood star after Preity Zinta, Shah Rukh Khan and Juhi Chawla to enter the IPL. While Preity is part-owner of Kings XI Punjab, Shah Rukh and Juhi are co-owners of Kolkata Knight Riders.
Asked if the moved was aimed at getting more fame, Shilpa said: “It is just a game and we should have our own fun. I am not in the run to get more fame. This was just Raj’s business acumen.”
Boyfriend Kundra added: “The team’s success story last year was an inspiration for me. That’s why I am investing in this team.”
Rajasthan Royals led by the maverick Shane Warne surprised everyone last year by winning the inaugural edition of the tournament ahead of some teams that had big stars in their kitty.
- Shilpa joins IPL bandwagon, buys stake in Rajasthan Royals (Roundup) - Feb 03, 2009
- Shah Rukh Khan to buy stake in I-League champions Dempo - Jun 01, 2012
- Pregnant Shilpa Shetty hopes to cheer her IPL team - Mar 06, 2012
- SRK eyes stake in I-League champions Dempo (Evening Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Shilpa and boyfriend Raj buy stake in Rajasthan Royals - Feb 03, 2009
- Raj, me are co-owners of Rajasthan Royals, asserts Shilpa - Apr 26, 2010
- Salman Khan interested in buying IPL team - Aug 26, 2009
- Bollywood star Shilpa Shetty buys 12 percent stake in Rajasthan Royals - Feb 03, 2009
- (VM) Shilpa, Warne shocked, at Royals' IPL termination - Oct 10, 2010
- Bollywood stars roots for favourite IPL teams - Mar 13, 2010
- Shilpa Shetty buys 11 percent shares in IPL team Rajasthan Royals - Feb 03, 2009
- Want to promote Indian wrestling talent: Raj Kundra - May 05, 2012
- We will now be looking for Indian players: Rajasthan Royals - Jan 08, 2011
- Wrong to call me 'badshah of cricket', says SRK - May 30, 2012
- Who all own IPL teams - Apr 14, 2010