Shibu Soren trailing in Tamara by-electionJanuary 8th, 2009 - 1:42 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Jan 8 (IANS) Jharkhand Chief Minister Shibu Soren was Thursday trailing behind his Jharkhand Party rival in the Tamara assembly by-election, crucial for him as he is yet to get elected to the state legislature.After seven rounds of counting, Soren was lagging more than 3,500 votes behind Jharkhand Party candidate Raja Peter. A total 18 rounds of counting will take place.
The constituency has 158,000 voters, who chose between 15 candidates in the fray. The polling took place on Jan 5 amid tight security.
The seat fell vacant after former minister and Janata Dal-United (JD-U) legislator Ramesh Singh Munda was killed by the rebels July last year.
The contest is pivotal for Soren as he has to get elected to the state assembly before Feb 27 to fulfil the constitutional obligation of becoming a member of the state legislature within six months of assuming office. He had taken over as chief minister Aug 27 last year.
- BJP backs JMM in bypoll, JD-U miffed - Nov 21, 2011
- Munda to be ruling alliance joint nominee for by-poll: Soren - Jan 18, 2011
- Heavy security for key Jharkhand assembly by-election - Jan 04, 2009
- Polling underway in key Jharkhand by-election - Jan 05, 2009
- Brisk polling in key Jharkhand by election (Lead) - Jan 05, 2009
- Tamar by-election counting Thursday; confusion over poll percentage - Jan 07, 2009
- Munda files nomination for Kharsawa by-poll - Jan 19, 2011
- JMM to field candidate against Munda in by-poll (Lead) - Jan 13, 2011
- JMM rejects Munda's request not to contest by-poll - Jun 11, 2011
- Munda faces tough by-poll as campaigning ends - Feb 08, 2011
- 'Files pending as Jharkhand top brass focuses on by-poll' - Jun 28, 2011
- Arjun Munda seeks early assembly by-poll - Jan 11, 2011
- Arjun Munda becomes Jharkhand chief minister third time (Second Lead) - Sep 11, 2010
- JMM eyes Jameshedpur Lok Sabha seat after Munda victory - Feb 18, 2011
- With JMM support, BJP stakes claim to form Jharkhand government (Second Lead) - Sep 07, 2010