Shibu Soren mulling options to enter Jharkhand legislatureDecember 5th, 2008 - 2:26 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Dec 5 (IANS) Jharkhand Chief Minister Shibu Soren is considering options for a assembly constituency he can represent, to fulfil the constitutional obligation of becoming a member of the state legislature within six months.Soren, who took over as Chief Minister Aug 27, has to become a member of the Jharkhand legislature before Feb 27. As per the Constitution, any person can become chief minister or minister but needs to become a member of the state legislature within six months.
He is presently a member of Lok Sabha.
United Progressive Alliance partners, the Congress and Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) have offered to support Soren in the Tamar by-election, due Dec 29.
“We are ready to support Soren in Tamar assembly by-election,” state Congress unit chief Pradeep Kumar Balmuchu told reporters.
By-elections to the Tamar seat were necessitated after sitting member and former state minister Ramesh Singh Munda, of the Janata Dal (United), was killed by Maoist rebels July 9.
However, Soren is still not decided about contesting the by-election as the opposition has nominated Munda’s widow, Basundhara Munda, as its candidate.
“Soren does not want to fight from Tamar as the widow of the late legislator is contesting the assembly by-election and people will have sympathy with her,” a close aide of Soren told IANS.
He, however, said that the final decision will be taken in a day or two.
Meanwhile, suspended Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislator Vishnu Bhaiya has also announced he would quit his Jamtara assembly seat to make way for Soren.
However, sources said Bhaiya wanted a key post before he quit, which Soren will find difficult to provide due to opposition from the alliance partners.
- Arjun Munda seeks early assembly by-poll - Jan 11, 2011
- JMM eyes Jameshedpur Lok Sabha seat after Munda victory - Feb 18, 2011
- Heavy security for key Jharkhand assembly by-election - Jan 04, 2009
- Polling underway in key Jharkhand by-election - Jan 05, 2009
- Soren scrambles for safe seat to fight assembly poll - Jan 25, 2010
- Jharkhand vote count finally to end president's rule - Dec 22, 2009
- Campaign for Jharkhand by-election ends - Jan 03, 2009
- Shibu Soren files nomination papers for assembly by-poll - Dec 12, 2008
- Soren violated model code while filing nomination, says BJP (Lead) - Dec 12, 2008
- Munda licks wounds after BJP defeat - May 04, 2012
- Munda faces tough by-poll as campaigning ends - Feb 08, 2011
- All UPA partners to support Soren in assembly by-poll - Dec 11, 2008
- JMM rejects Munda's request not to contest by-poll - Jun 11, 2011
- Tamar by-election counting Thursday; confusion over poll percentage - Jan 07, 2009
- Jharkhand minister seeks more security - Jan 22, 2011