Shibu Soren gets invitation from Ravana followersSeptember 20th, 2008 - 4:01 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Sep 20 (IANS) Jharkhand Chief Minister Shibu Soren’s refusal to burn the effigy of Ravana has prompted followers of the demon king to invite him for offering prayers on Vijaya Dashami.An Indore-based group has invited Soren to participate in worshiping Ravana during Durga Puja. Lankesh Mitra Mandal has sent the invitation to the chief minister’s house, sources said.
Soren is however learnt to have refused to accept the invitation.
The Ravana followers got solace when Soren refused to burn the effigy of Ravana. Also, Soren termed Ravana as kulguru and a great scholar whose effigy should not be burnt.
Since the creation of Jharkhand in November 2000, the chief minister has been lighting the fire to spark off the Vijay Dashmi celebrations. A delegation of local Dussehra organisers met Soren last week and requested him to accept the invitation to burn effigy of Ravana at Morabadi ground on Vijaya Dashami.
“There is no dispute that Ravana was a great scholar. And a great scholar’s effigy should not be burnt” said Ram Dayal Munda, former Vice Chancellor of Ranchi University.
- Controversy crops up as BJP terms Soren rule Ravana Raj - Sep 30, 2008
- Congress unhappy as Soren refuses to burn Ravana effigy - Oct 01, 2008
- No Jharkhand VIP wants to burn Ravana's effigy - Oct 08, 2008
- A town that never burns Ravana effigy - Oct 06, 2011
- Tribal body in Madhya Pradesh issues directive to worship Ravana - Oct 06, 2008
- 'Soren government a combination of Ram and Ravana' (Lead) - Jan 07, 2010
- Here Ravana worshipped on Dussehra! - Oct 05, 2011
- Soren sails through trust vote amid RJD boycott (Second Lead) - Jan 07, 2010
- Dussehra's over, but Ravana still alive here - Oct 01, 2009
- Kasab replaces Ravana in Indore Dussehra festival - Sep 28, 2009
- Weeklong Kullu Dussehra festivities end - Oct 12, 2011
- Kishenji's death not good for country: Shibu Soren - Dec 02, 2011
- JMM rejects Munda's request not to contest by-poll - Jun 11, 2011
- Kasab's effigy to be burnt in Indore and Kanpur - Sep 28, 2009
- Ravana burnt elsewhere, worshipped in parts of Madhya Pradesh - Sep 27, 2009