Shia groups clash in LucknowMay 18th, 2012 - 9:04 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, May 18 (IANS) Two groups of the Shia community fought pitched battles outside Lucknow’s famous Bada Imambara, exchanged blows and set on fire a vehicle Friday.
The violence broke out after the weekly Friday prayers when a group of supporters of Waseem Rizvi, the president of the Shia Waqf Board, made some snide comments against Shia cleric and member of the All-India Mulsim Personal law Board Kalbe Jawwad.
This ignited sentiments and Jawwad’s supporters starting pelting stones and attacked Rizvi’s vehicle.
Police reinforcements were sent to curb violence and to control the irate mobs, which had blocked the roads in the old city, causing long traffic snarl ups.
Several ambulances and patients on their way to the adjoining medical college and trauma centre had to undergo tough times as police tried to disperse the angry crowds and clear the traffic.
Police arrested one man in connection with the violence and said they were looking for other mischief makers.
Heavy deployment of police and the Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC) has been made in the area. Inspector General of Police (Law and Order) Badri Prasad Singh told IANS that the police were being watchful to ensure no further violence took place.
- Shia cleric urges Muslims to participate in 'Save Ganga' efforts - Apr 20, 2012
- Shia clerics demand closure of US, Israel embassies in India - May 07, 2012
- Police put on high alert after violence in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 18, 2012
- UP sees violence over Myanmar-Assam events, curfew in Allahabad (Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
- Villagers clash with police in Noida - Sep 10, 2012
- Shia leaders reject VHP's Ayodhya proposal - Oct 06, 2010
- Shia youth group offers donation to build Ram temple - Oct 02, 2010
- Ayodhya case: Muslims leaders to discuss future action Saturday - Oct 15, 2010
- Security beefed up in Uttar Pradesh ahead of Eid - Aug 31, 2011
- Mob torces four vehicles in Lucknow - Mar 30, 2012
- With ministers like his, Akhilesh needs no enemies (Uttar Pradesh Newsletter) - Aug 18, 2012
- Clashes in Lucknow after Shia clerics arrested - Nov 14, 2010
- Gunfire in Meerut jail as cops, inmates clash, 11 hurt (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Police post set afire in Ghaziabad (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Six cops injured in mob attack in Uttar Pradesh village - Aug 29, 2011
Tags: ambulances, angry crowds, constabulary, kalbe, mischief makers, mobs, mulsim, personal law, pitched battles, police law, police reinforcements, prasad, shia community, snide comments, tough times, traffic police, traffic snarl, trauma centre, waqf, waseem