Shelter home exploitation: cop held for destroying evidenceJuly 6th, 2012 - 12:11 pm ICT by IANS
Rohtak (Haryana), July 6 (IANS) The Haryana police officer heading the probe into the sexual exploitation and physical and mental torture of inmates at the Apna Ghar shelter home here has been arrested for destruction of evidence, police said Friday.
Sub-inspector Bhim Singh Ranga, who retired last month, was arrested by a special investigation team (SIT) of the Haryana police, said Additional Director General of Police (law and order) and SIT chief M.S. Mann.
The special team was constituted by Director General of Police (DGP) Ranjiv Singh Dalal last month to probe the involvement of certain police officials from Rohtak district in the illegal activities at the shelter home.
Ranga was made investigating officer of the case May this year after the Apna Ghar scandal was revealed by a team of the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) May 9. Over 100 inmates, including children, girls and women, were rescued from the home after a raid.
So far, seven people have been arrested, including the shelter home in-charge Jaswanti, her daughter Sushma alias Simmi, son-in-law Jai Bhagwan and four others.
The accused have been booked for rape, molestation, wrongful confinement, criminal intimidation of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and immoral trafficking.
Rohtak town is 70 km from national capital New Delhi.
The Apna Ghar shelter home, which was being run by an NGO Bharat Vikas Sangh for several years, has been sealed by the state government.
- Probe into abuse by Haryana cops in women's shelter (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Six kids missing from Rohtak shelter home traced - May 16, 2012
- NGO worker, son-in-law arrested for assaulting protection home inmates (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Nearly 120 rescued after raid on Haryana protection home - May 10, 2012
- Warden booked for sodomising mentally disabled in Haryana - Jul 02, 2012
- Scandals to protests, Hooda gets busy this summer (Haryana Newsletter) - Jul 06, 2012
- Hooda's ministers not new to crime controversies (News Analysis) - Aug 06, 2012
- No parole for Haryana prisoners in first 5 years - Jun 29, 2012
- Mirchpur caste violence: Protests spread to more areas (Lead) - Jan 24, 2011
- Crime nexus forces Goa children's home to ban mobile phones - Apr 06, 2012
- Where destitute, disabled find a home (Feature) - May 01, 2012
- Police rescue children from traffickers - Mar 11, 2011
- 'Gurgaon NGO didn't have permission to run orphanage' - May 05, 2012
- Jat agitators block roads, tracks again in Haryana - Mar 09, 2012
- Haryana: Widow molestation case victim goes missing - Jun 11, 2010
Tags: apna ghar, bharat, criminal intimidation, destroying evidence, dgp, haryana police, illegal activities, indian penal code, inmates, investigation team, jai bhagwan, law and order, mental torture, police law, police officials, ranga, rape molestation, sangh, sexual exploitation, vikas