Shelter all Delhi’s homeless by evening, orders apex courtJanuary 20th, 2010 - 4:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 20 (IANS) The Supreme Court Wednesday ordered the Delhi government to provide night shelters to all of the capital’s homeless by this evening.
Taking note of the plight of the homeless during the ongoing cold wave, the apex court ordered the government to hold a meeting by 4.30 p.m. to decide how the order was going to be carried out.
Justices Tarun Chatterjee and S. Radhakrishnan told the government representative to immediately advertise the locations of all the night shelters in the capital through television and print media.
The authorities must also ensure that the night shelters have basic amenities such as blankets, electricity and toilets, the judges ordered.
Civic authorities run 40 night shelters in Delhi. Their combined capacity cannot house even a small fraction of the capital’s estimated 150,000 homeless people.
- Shelter all Delhi's homeless by evening, orders apex court (Lead, Superseding earlier story) - Jan 20, 2010
- After court rap, Delhi scrambles to set up night shelters - Jan 20, 2010
- Ensure shelters for Delhi's homeless - immediately: Supreme Court (Second Lead) - Jan 20, 2010
- Delhi's homeless will be protected from cold: Walia - Jan 03, 2011
- After court rap, Delhi scrambles to identify night shelters (Lead) - Jan 20, 2010
- 'Teething troubles' at new night shelters - Jan 23, 2010
- Apex court seeks status of shelters for India's homeless (Lead) - Jan 27, 2010
- Finally, 37 more night shelters for Delhi's homeless (Lead) - Jan 21, 2010
- Finally, 35 places identified as night shelters in Delhi - Jan 21, 2010
- Delhi not to restore demolished night shelters - Dec 19, 2011
- Apex court rues lack of basic amenities to people - Feb 10, 2010
- Restart night shelters immediately: High court to Delhi government - Dec 13, 2011
- Ensure not one life is lost in cold, apex court tells states - Jan 09, 2012
- Supreme Court restrains Delhi Govt. from demolishing night shelters - Dec 15, 2010
- Delhi government still not sheltering homeless: NGO - Feb 16, 2010
Tags: amenities, apex, apex court, blankets, chatterjee, civic authorities, cold wave, delhi government, electricity, fraction, government representative, homeless people, New Delhi, plight of the homeless, s radhakrishnan, supreme court, tarun, television, toilets