Sheikh Hasina expands her cabinetJanuary 24th, 2009 - 10:05 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Jan 24 (DPA) Bangladesh’s Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina Wazed Saturday inducted six more junior ministers into her cabinet, raising the cabinet’s strength to 38, officials said.President Iajuddin Ahmed administered the oath to the new state ministers at the presidential palace, Bangabhaban. Portfolios of the ministers were yet to be allocated.
The expansion of the cabinet came less than a month since Hasina was sworn in as Prime Minister Jan 6 and a day ahead of inauguration of the country’s ninth parliament Sunday.
She had formed a 32-member cabinet accommodating leaders from her Awami League and allies as well to run the administration on a five-year tenure.
Hasina’s Awami League-led alliance won a sweeping victory in Dec 29 parliamentary elections, ending two years of rule by the military-backed government of Fakhruddin Ahmed.
The general election brought three-fourth majority in parliament for Hasina’s alliance with 262 out of 300 seats.
The previously elected ruling Bangladesh Nationalist Party-led alliance of Khaleda Zia got only 32 seats while it had won a landslide two-third majority in parliament in the 2001 general elections.
- Bangladesh opposition stages mass hunger strike - May 21, 2012
- Sheikh Hasina takes oath as the new Prime Minister of Bangladesh - Jan 06, 2009
- Bangladesh may act against ex-chief advisor, army chief - Apr 19, 2011
- Bangladesh's opposition calls strike June 27 - May 19, 2010
- WikiLeaks: India worried over Hasina, Zia - Dec 20, 2010
- Bangladesh Parliament to convene on January 25 - Jan 08, 2009
- Bangladesh's ruling ally threatens to quit - Mar 13, 2011
- Hasina elected Bangladesh's new leader - Jan 04, 2009
- Zia cries foul, Hasina seeks cooperation after Bangladesh poll verdict - Dec 31, 2008
- Ninth Bangladesh parliament to open Sunday - Jan 20, 2009
- Former Bangladesh premier to challenge eviction notice - May 03, 2009
- Hasina seventh top world woman leader - Aug 11, 2011
- Sheikh Hasina is sworn-in Bangladesh PM for second time - Jan 06, 2009
- Bangladesh opposition fares well in polls - Jan 28, 2011
- Sheikh Hasina sworn-in Bangladesh PM for second time (Lead) - Jan 06, 2009