Shaun Marsh considering to go under knifeDecember 15th, 2011 - 5:15 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Dec 15 (IANS) Australia’s opening batsman Shaun Marsh is considering to go under the knife within the next three-four months to alleviate a disc swelling in his spine and get his career back on track.
The batsmen is struggling to get fit for the four-match Test series against India that starts with the Boxing Day Test at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
Marsh suffered a back injury in the Cape Town Test against South Africa and said having a surgery is the best way to prevent a break down again. Marsh has been plagued with injuries in his short career. The opener suffered a similar back injury a year ago against Sri Lanka and has also been through recurrent hamstring injuries.
“If I ever have to get an operation done on my back if it goes again within the next three to four months, I’d probably look to get it done over the IPL (Indian Premier League). I would do anything to extend my Test career for as long as possible,” Marsh was quoted saying by the Sydney Morning Herald.
Australia team physio Alex Kountouris who has been working a double shift with a string of injures hitting the national side said Marsh’s injury is concern.
“Shaun has had this back injury two or three times now, so we are obviously conscious of trying to minimise the risk, but when you are in the game, things happen and it’s hard to control sometimes. It has to be managed, but that is like anything. If you have a hamstring strain, you have got to manage that forever because the biggest predictor of getting an injury is having had one before. Once you have had something there is obviously a particular reason why you have had it or a weakness,” he said.
- Handling injuries Shaun Marsh's biggest challenge: Moody - Dec 26, 2011
- Dan Christian gets Australia call-up for second Test - Dec 05, 2011
- Harris returns to Australia Test squad - Dec 30, 2011
- Tait proves fitness, Ferguson added to Oz squad for ODIs against England - Feb 01, 2011
- Marsh to replace injured Hussey in next three ODIs - Jan 18, 2011
- My chances are running out, says Marsh - Jan 17, 2012
- Injured Hussey, Hauritz out of Australia's World Cup squad - Feb 08, 2011
- Injured Zaheer could miss most of the England series - Jul 22, 2011
- Ferguson to replace Marsh for remaining Sri Lanka series - Nov 04, 2010
- Warner replaces injured Marsh in Australian squad - Nov 14, 2011
- Clarke to miss Sunday's clash against India - Feb 17, 2012
- Injured Hussey, Hauritz ruled out of Oz World Cup squad - Feb 08, 2011
- Forrest, Wade in Australia's Test squad; Haddin retained - Mar 14, 2012
- Boxing Day Test: Shaun Marsh confident of regaining fitness - Dec 22, 2011
- `Pup' Clarke in doubt for first Oz-Windies Test - Nov 05, 2009
Tags: alex, australia team, back injury, boxing day, boxing day test, cape town, double shift, four months, ipl, marsh, match, melbourne cricket ground, morning herald, premier league, south africa, spine, sydney morning herald, test career, test series, three times