Sharmila, Soha to run Mumbai Marathon for a causeJanuary 14th, 2009 - 11:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 14 (IANS) Veteran actress Sharmila Tagore and her daughter Soha Ali Khan will take part in the Mumbai Marathon Sunday in support of a cause taken up by actor Rahul Bose’s NGO.Sharmila said that children were the future of India and as UNICEF’S goodwill ambassador she had taken a pledge “to speak up for the cause of children whenever and wherever it is necessary”.
“I am participating in this marathon to support HEAL, a project run by Rahul Bose’s NGO, to raise awareness for sexually abused children. If this small effort in anyway alleviates the misery and stigma that these little children have to face, it will be worth my while,” she said in a statement.
This is the fourth year of the marathon.
Joining the celebrities would be Bose’s adopted children from the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. These kids, studying at a school in Bangalore, are studying on scholarships provided by the actor.
“Last year too these kids were part of the marathon but could not participate as they were legally below the age required for participation. But, this year they are allowed to run,” said Bose.
The actor feels that the Mumbai Marathon is the best community event “especially in the wake of the 26/11 attacks”.
“This is the only occasion where differences visible in the everyday life melt away and the entire city comes together in the spirit of oneness.
“The marathon is one event which actually does not require any personal investment from anyone. But we should invest in it as it is a great platform to see the different lifestyles thriving in the city come together for the support of different causes,” Bose said.
- Stars join in at Mumbai Marathon's dream run - Jan 15, 2012
- Soha's 'Sahib...' look modelled on Sharmila's 'Anupama' - Feb 22, 2012
- Mumbai Marathon: A carnival on the streets of Bollywood country (Roundup) - Jan 15, 2012
- Sharmila-Pataudi made perfect couple, say designers - Sep 23, 2011
- Rahul Bose to carry the Marathon torch and run for Mumbai Marathon 2010 - Jan 09, 2010
- Priyanka Chopra becomes UNICEF National Ambassador - Aug 10, 2010
- Delhi hosts walkathon for public awareness on cancer - Feb 07, 2010
- Thousands run marathon in show of unity for terror-hit Mumbai - Jan 18, 2009
- Over 40,000 students to participate in Salwan marathon - Oct 19, 2011
- Over 38,000 to run in bigger, better Mumbai Marathon - Jan 15, 2011
- Sibling power rocks Bollywood (Aug 13 is Rakhi) - Aug 10, 2011
- Soha takes piano classes, pleases mommy dearest - Apr 11, 2012
- Sharmila Tagore Catches Up With Old Friends And Colleagues - Aug 31, 2010
- Prime minister's wife leads walk for cancer - Feb 07, 2010
- Why get so excited about Hollywood, asks Sharmila Tagore (Interview) - Mar 06, 2011