Sharjah marks International Museums DayMay 20th, 2012 - 12:59 am ICT by IANS
Sharjah, May 19 (IANS/WAM) Sharjah ’s Commerce and Tourism Development Authority (SCTDA) marked the International Museums Day here Friday.
This year the annual event was themed: “Museums in a Changing World.”
On this occasion, Mohamed Ali Al Noman, chairman of the SCTDA, said the Sharjah Museums represent the image of culture and civilisation in the Emirate of Sharjah, which owns 16 specialised museums, characterised with the rich history as each differs in featuring the legacy of the emirate in a scientific and modern manner.
They attract visitors of all ages and nationalities, he said, addding that the cultural tourism is now considered an important factor in driving the rise of the emirate’s GDP due to the economic role it plays.
- Tourism sector in Sharjah witnesses impressive growth - Jun 06, 2011
- 107,000 tourists visited Sharjah in June - Jul 24, 2010
- Sharjah Light Festival 2012 to begin Thursday - Feb 09, 2012
- UAE, UNESCO sign educational agreement - Sep 08, 2012
- Sharjah to organise ninth tourism road show - Apr 14, 2010
- UAE, Egypt sign deal for heart surgery centre - Jul 31, 2012
- Al Jazeera Park closed for makeover - Jul 15, 2012
- Sharjah taxi owners to get $1.3 billion bonus - Jul 17, 2012
- Lights festival begins in UAE - Feb 10, 2011
- UAE, Belarus discuss bilateral cooperation - Feb 22, 2012
- Carnival to mark Sharjah ruler's recovery - Jan 12, 2012
- UAE delivers aid for Libyan schools - Sep 02, 2012
- UAE,Canada discuss relations - Sep 02, 2012
- UAE hopeful of Greece economic recovery - Jan 12, 2012
- UAE envoy meets Irish finance minister - Feb 09, 2012
Tags: civilisation, cultural tourism, economic role, emirate, gdp, international museums, legacy, mohamed ali, noman, rich history, s commerce, sharjah museums, specialised museums, tourism development authority, vd, wam