Sharath-led Indian TT team leaves for final Olympic qualifierMay 8th, 2012 - 5:22 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 8 (IANS) A four-member Indian table tennis team comprising Sharath Kamal left for Doha Tuesday morning to give it a last shot at qualifying for the London Olympics.
Sharath, national men’s and women’s champions Anthony Amalraj and Poulomi Ghatak and Shamini Kumaresan, will have to up the ante this time to make amends for their failure at the Asian Qualification tournament in Hong Kong last month.
Young players Soumyajit Ghosh and Ankita Das are the only two to have booked their London berth so far.
The qualifying event beginning Thursday will give India the best chance of clinching a spot each in men’s and women’s section with almost all top players in Europe and Asia having already made the cut.
Both Bhawani Mukherjee and Leszek Kucharski, the two coaches accompanying the team, said Sharath had the best chance to qualify for his third straight Olympics.
“Sharath displayed excellent form at Hong Kong and we are sure he will not disappoint this time,” said Mukherjee as Kucharski agreed with him.
“From what I saw of Sharath, he is a great player and can beat anyone on his day,” added the Polish coach.
- Promising paddlers get a chance to qualify for London Olympics - Mar 20, 2012
- Indian paddlers upbeat as they leave for Olympic qualifiers - Apr 16, 2012
- Olympic-bound paddlers leave for exposure trip - Jun 06, 2012
- Indian contingent leaves for Asian TT Championships in Macau - Feb 21, 2012
- Best paddlers did not make London cut: Chief TT coach - May 30, 2012
- National TT: Sharath, Shamini start favourites - Jan 22, 2012
- Easy draw for Sharath Kamal in TT Olympic qualifier - May 10, 2012
- Sharath Kamal close to sealing London berth - Apr 20, 2012
- PSPB paddlers likely to dominate - Aug 21, 2012
- India look for extra London Olympics TT berth - Jan 09, 2012
- London dreams of Indian paddlers shattered - May 12, 2012
- Indians paddlers start Olympic qualifying campaign in style - May 10, 2012
- TT: Soumyajit, Ankita book London berth, heartbreak for Sharath - Apr 22, 2012
- Indian TT players good but need better fitness: India's Polish coach - Jan 18, 2012
- Olympic qualifying: Men paddlers top groups, Ankita in second stage - Apr 19, 2012
Tags: ankita, berth, failure, ghatak, ghosh, hong kong, India, kucharski, leszek, london olympics, national men, New Delhi, olympic qualifier, olympics, qualification tournament, shamini, sharath kamal, table tennis team, tt, tuesday morning