Sharapova happy with 2012September 8th, 2012 - 5:45 pm ICT by IANS
New York, Sep 8 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Maria Sharapova has announced she is “pretty happy” with her Grand Slam-winning season which she entered with apprehension due to a niggling ankle injury.
The Russian briefly returned to World No. 1 status after winning the French Open in June to complete the career Grand Slam, making the final of the Australian Open and the semifinal of the US Open.
Slam-wise, it was Sharapova’s most successful season ever. Never before has she won one and reached the final of another in the same year.
Speaking after her defeat to Victoria Azarenka at Flushing Meadows late Friday, Sharapova reflected on a season of surprises.
“I’ll take them. I’ll take the results I had this year,” she said.
“I look back at the beginning of the season, and I remember going to Australia early not really sure if I was going to play in a warm-up tournament, my ankle still not feeling great,” Sharapova added.
“So if someone had told me, you know, when I had that uncertainty going into the Australian Open, that I would have this type of season, although it’s still not over, there are still some events to play, I would have been pretty happy.”
But in the hallmark of a champion, Sharapova was not happy at failing to make the final, despite her best run in the New York slam since her victory in 2006.
“This is the last one, it’s where I would have loved to get enough further.”
- Sharapova curses final set charity against Azarenka - Sep 08, 2012
- I feared I was pregnant: Sharapova - Aug 28, 2012
- Sharapova to cut her hair only on retiring - Jun 09, 2012
- Sharapova wins French Open, completes career Grand Slam (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Maria Sharapova's new haircut sparks internet frenzy - Apr 18, 2012
- Win at French Open shows ny determination: Sharapova - Jun 10, 2012
- Sharapova sets up Olympic semifinal with Kirilenko - Aug 03, 2012
- Sharapova proud of her Russian origin - May 30, 2012
- Sharapova stoic about losing No.1 spot - Jul 03, 2012
- After French win, Sharapova eyes Wimbledon - Jun 24, 2012
- Sharapova could carry Russian flag in Olympics - Jun 13, 2012
- US Open: Azarenka, Williams showdown for women's title - Sep 08, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Williams sets up final with Sharapova - Aug 04, 2012
- Azarenka destroys Sharapova to win Australian Open - Jan 28, 2012
- Serena Williams wins women's singles at US Open - Sep 10, 2012
Tags: ankle injury, apprehension, australian open, briefly, career grand slam, champion, french open, going to australia, hallmark, maria sharapova, ria novosti, ss, surprises, uncertainty, victoria azarenka, victory, vm, york sep