Sharapova curses final set charity against AzarenkaSeptember 8th, 2012 - 5:45 pm ICT by IANS
New York, Sep 8 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Maria Sharapova cursed her final-set form in the US Open semifinal defeat to Victoria Azarenka, saying she gave her opponent a free ride on crucial points.
The Russian World No. 3 went a set and a break up before the top-ranked Belarusian came back to snatch a 3-6, 6-2, 6-4 victory at the Flushing Meadows Friday.
“Its frustrating but it’s the game of tennis,” Sharapova said.
“There were a lot of swings in the match today. I didn’t do much on her service games, she was winning them pretty easy. On mine, they were quite long, and I wasn’t putting too much pressure on her. I think I gave her too many free points.”
Sharapova, the French Open champion and Olympic silver medallist, reflected on the wider picture too, however, saying she took some consolation in her best US Open performance since her 2006 victory.
It was also the latest episode in Sharapova’s increasingly intriguing rivalry with Azarenka, whom she trails 6-4 in career head-to-heads.
“She has the better record against me but hopefully when I’m done I can change that around,” Sharapova said.
Azarenka faces three-time champion Serena Williams in the final.
- Sharapova happy with 2012 - Sep 08, 2012
- US Open: Sharapova to face Azarenka in semis (Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Williams sets up final with Sharapova - Aug 04, 2012
- US Open: Azarenka, Williams showdown for women's title - Sep 08, 2012
- Sharapova reaches US Open semi-finals - Sep 06, 2012
- Maria Sharapova's new haircut sparks internet frenzy - Apr 18, 2012
- I feared I was pregnant: Sharapova - Aug 28, 2012
- Olympic tennis: US flag blows away at ceremony - Aug 05, 2012
- Serena Williams wins women's singles at US Open - Sep 10, 2012
- US Open: Murray, Williams reach fourth round - Sep 02, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Sharapova in women's singles final - Aug 04, 2012
- Sharapova stoic about losing No.1 spot - Jul 03, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Azarenka reaches semifinals - Aug 02, 2012
- Azarenka takes tennis bronze for Belarus - Aug 04, 2012
- Wimbledon: Errani thrashed by record-breaker Shvedova - Jun 30, 2012
Tags: career head, consolation, curses, free ride, french open, french open champion, maria sharapova, olympic silver, open performance, opponent, ria novosti, rivalry, russian world, serena williams, service games, swings, time champion, victoria azarenka, vm, york sep