Sharapova and Serena pull out of China OpenSeptember 30th, 2011 - 4:48 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Sep 30 (IANS) World No.2 Maria Sharapova of Russia and American Serena Williams pulled out of the China Open Friday, a day before the beginning of the WTA premier event.
Sharapova twisted her ankle while serving Thursday and quit her Pan Pacific Open quarter-finals in Tokyo against Petra Kvitova.
The 24-year-old Russian said on her website: “Good news is that the MRI showed no big damage in the ankle. Will do my best to recover in time for Istanbul (the season-ending championships).”
“It is to better recover soon because I can become quite the annoying patient! I will keep everyone posted with my progress.”
Williams also missed the tournament due to injury. The American was out of tennis for almost a year with a series of injuries, but hit her form quickly after coming back, reaching her fifth US Open final earlier this month.
According to the official website of the China Open, Serena should have arrived in Beijing Friday. However, she didn’t appear in the women’s singles draw, meaning she would be absent for the second consecutive year.
With the season nearing its end, a bunch of players have deleted the China trip from their schedule. World No.1 men’s player Novak Djokovic quit the event due to a negative report from his latest physical check. Others absentees include Richard Gasquet, Robin Soderling and Venus Williams.
- Olympics: Bhupathi-Bopanna seeded seventh, Federer top seed - Jul 26, 2012
- Australian Open: Djokovic marches on; Roddick retires (Roundup) - Jan 19, 2012
- Djokovic, Sharapova coast into Australian Open fourth round (Roundup) - Jan 22, 2012
- Djokovic withdraws from China Open - Sep 29, 2011
- China Open: Foot injury forces Azarenka to concede pre-quarterfinal - Oct 06, 2011
- US Open: Federer, Murray drawn to meet in semis - Aug 24, 2012
- Djokovic the player to beat at Melbourne Park - Jan 15, 2012
- Kvitova rises to fifth in world rankings - Aug 26, 2012
- Australian Open: Nishikori eliminates Tsonga, Makarova stuns Serena - Jan 23, 2012
- Australian Open: Djokovic sails into 3rd round - Jan 19, 2012
- Top four seeds enter semis at Stuttgart WTA Grand Prix - Apr 28, 2012
- US Open: Djokovic, Federer, Williams advance as retirements continue - Sep 04, 2011
- Wimbledon: Murray to face Davydenko in first round - Jun 22, 2012
- US Open: Azarenka, Stosur to meet in quarters - Sep 03, 2012
- Australian Open: Sharapova to meet Kvitova in semis - Jan 25, 2012
Tags: beijing, china trip, istanbul, maria sharapova, mri, novak djokovic, pan pacific, petra, quarter finals, richard gasquet, robin soderling, russia, second consecutive year, serena williams, tennis, tokyo, venus williams, wta