Sharada Prasad, media aide to Indira Gandhi, dead (Lead)September 2nd, 2008 - 5:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 2 (IANS) H.Y.Sharada Prasad, a legendary media adviser to former prime minister Indira Gandhi and one of her closest aides, died in New Delhi Tuesday. He was 84.Close relatives said Prasad was ailing for some years and of late was bedridden, suffering from Parkinson’s disease as well.
“He had a fall some months back which was also painful. He died this afternoon,” said Prasad’s son, Sanjeeva.
Sharada Prasad served Indira Gandhi for all her 15 years that she was in power and was not only her speech writer and media interfacae, but a political confidant as well.
He also served prime ministers Morarji Desai and Rajiv Gandhi.
He was honoured with the Padma Bhushan award in 2000 and the Indira Gandhi Award for National Integration in 2001.
Former Chief Justice of India M. N. Venkatachalliah said Prasad was an extraordinary life in our times.
“He is a great gift of Mysore to the country, who epitomizes humility and simplicity. But concealed behind all this is tremendous learning and the strength of great scholarship,” said Venktachalliah.
Prasad’s cremation will be held at the Lodi crematorium Tuesday evening. He is survived by his wife Kamalamma, and two sons.
- Thousands attend Bal Apte's funeral - Jul 18, 2012
- Aide to 3 PMs, Sharada Prasad dead - Sep 02, 2008
- Surinder Kapoor's cremation Sunday - Sep 25, 2011
- H.Y. Sharada Prasad passes away - Sep 02, 2008
- Sonia Gandhi, Rahul Gandhi condole death of Sharada Prasad - Sep 02, 2008
- PM condoles passing away of Sharada Prasad - Sep 03, 2008
- Freedom fighter Jawaharlal Darda's widow dead - Jul 19, 2012
- Rajendra Prasad's memorial to be a tourist spot - Dec 05, 2010
- Indira Gandhi confidante P.N. Dhar dead - Jul 19, 2012
- Bollywood bids adieu to Joy - Mar 10, 2012
- 'Angel' Amy Winehouse cremated - Jul 27, 2011
- A mass, a cremation...adieu Mario Miranda - Dec 12, 2011
- P.C. Alexander, former Indira Gandhi aide, is dead (Third Lead) - Aug 10, 2011
- P.C.Alexander, former aide to Indira Gandhi, dies (Lead) - Aug 10, 2011
- Congress MP loyal to Jagan targets Gandhi family - Feb 10, 2011