Shantiniketan school girl made to drink urine for bedwettingJuly 8th, 2012 - 8:14 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 8 (IANS) A four member fact-finding committee has been constituted to look into the allegation that a class five student of Visva-Bharati’s Patha Bhavan school was forced to drink her urine as a punishment for bedwetting, a university official said Sunday.
“We have received a complaint that a class 5 residential student of the Patha Bhavan was allegedly made to drink her urine as a punishment. A four member fact finding committee headed by former dean of students welfare, Aruna Mukherjee has been set up to look into the matter and submit its report to the vice chancellor of the University,” a university spokesman told IANS.
The incident happened Saturday evening when the warden of Karabi hostel, Uma Poddar, while on an inspection found Punita guilty of bedwetting. She allegedly then made the girl drink her urine as a punishment.
After the girl told her mother about the ordeal, her parents and several other people stormed the hostel premises and allegedly manhandled Poddar.
The girl’s mother has also lodged a complaint against Poddar at the Bolpur police station in Birbhum district, some 160 km from state capital Kolkata.
The National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) has taken cognisance of the matter and has sought a report from the University.
- Shantiniketan school girl made to drink urine for bedwetting (Lead) - Jul 08, 2012
- PMO seeks report in Visva-Bharti incident - Jul 09, 2012
- Viswa Bharati case: warden and parents held - Jul 09, 2012
- Child panel demands report in Visva-Bharati incident - Jul 09, 2012
- Vishva-Bharati case: Girl refuses to go back to school - Jul 10, 2012
- Visva-Bharati warden's action traditional cure: Agnivesh - Jul 10, 2012
- Visva-Bharati incident a criminal offence, says Krishna Tirath - Jul 10, 2012
- Viswa-Bharati shocker: PMO seeks report, earden gets bail (Roundup) - Jul 09, 2012
- Viswa-Bharati row: Warden gets bail, court censures police (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Visva Bharati shocker: Varsity team visits student - Jul 12, 2012
- Visva Bharati victim joins another school - Jul 18, 2012
- Vishva Bharati case: Girl yet to recover from shock (Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Visva-Bharati row: Varsity regrets incident, asks girl to return - Jul 12, 2012
- Vishva-Bharati row: Court issues contempt notice against PM, others - Jul 13, 2012
- More from Bengal schools: Two girls asked to disrobe - Jul 14, 2012
Tags: allegation, aruna, bedwetting, bhavan school, dean, dean of students, hostel, kolkata, ordeal, parents, patha, police station, premises, residential student, saturday evening, school girl, university spokesman, vice chancellor, visva bharati, welfare