Shanno Foundation launched to curb corporal punishmentMay 27th, 2009 - 7:46 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 27 (IANS) To curb the “menace” of corporal punishment in schools, a foundation was launched Wednesday named after Shanno Khan, the 11-year-old Delhi girl, who died after slipping into coma following alleged punishment by a teacher.
“We pledge and resolve to fight the menace of corporal punishment until it is eradicated from schools in the remotest corners of the country,” said Rohit Kochhar, a corporate law firm owner, who floated the Kochhar Shanno Foundation.
“The foundation will endeavour to support welfare projects pertaining to education and well being of underprivileged children,” said Kochhar, a Delhi based lawyer.
Kochhar has also moved the Delhi High Court with a writ petition seeking exemplary compensation of Rs.10 million for the bereaved family of Shanno, a student of a government school in Delhi, who died April 17.
Shanno was asked by her class teacher Manju in M.C primary school in Narela in outer Delhi to recite the English alphabet, failing which she was made to stand in the sun for two hours with bricks on her shoulders.
The foundation would also promote programmes and training for teachers in government-run schools, besides promoting an education system in the country that postures equality among children of different caste, classes and communities.
- Punished by teacher, 11-year-old girl goes into coma - Apr 16, 2009
- National child rights body condemns torture, death of Delhi girl - Apr 17, 2009
- Girl dies after punishment in school (Lead) - Apr 17, 2009
- Tortured schoolgirl's body handed over to parents; no arrest yet (Second Lead) - Apr 18, 2009
- Tortured schoolgirl's body handed over to parents; no arrest yet (Lead) - Apr 18, 2009
- Probe on, will take action against Shano Khan's teacher: Police - Apr 18, 2009
- Delhi CM expresses shock over student's torture, death - Apr 17, 2009
- Punished girl in coma, no charges against teacher - Apr 17, 2009
- FIR lodged against teacher for Delhi student's death - Apr 17, 2009
- Teacher charged with culpable homicide for schoolgirl's death - Apr 17, 2009
- Muslim organisation adopts family of dead schoolgirl - Apr 24, 2009
- Shanno died of epilepsy, police tell court - Jul 17, 2009
- Corporal punishment: the victims before Shano Khan - Apr 17, 2009
- Implementing child rights laws a problem, admits Renuka Chowdhury - Apr 17, 2009
- Child rights commission to take up case of dead schoolgirl - Apr 17, 2009