Shahid Azmi, lawyer to 26/11 accused, shot dead (Lead)February 12th, 2010 - 12:13 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Feb 11 (IANS) Lawyer Shahid Azmi, who was defending one of the key accused in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks trial, was shot dead in his office late Thursday evening, police said.
Some unidentified persons barged into Azmi’s office in Taximen’s Colony in Kurla, north-east Mumbai suburb, just before 9 p.m. and opened fire at him.
Azmi sustained four bullet injuries and was taken to the nearby Rajawadi Hospital in a critical condition, where he died later.
Azmi, 34, represented Fahim Ansari, one of the key accused in the ongoing 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks trial.
Among other things, Azmi’s client Fahim - a Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) activist - is charged with preparing the groundwork to help the perpetrators of the terror attacks.
At the tender age of 15, Azmi was arrested for violence during the communal riots that rocked Mumbai between December 1992-January 1993.
In 1992, Azmi was accused of plotting to kill Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray.
Charged under the now-defunct Terrorist and Disruptive Activities Act (TADA), Azmi was awarded a five-year sentence in 1999, but was acquitted the same year by the Supreme Court.
When he was in jail between 1992-1999, he studied for a post-graduate course and after acquittal by the apex court, he studied for a law degree before entering legal practice.
- Shahid Azmi, lawyer to 26/11 attackers, shot in Mumbai - Feb 11, 2010
- Fahim Ansari's wife relieved at his acquittal - Aug 30, 2012
- SC to decide Mumbai attacker Kasab's fate Wednesday - Aug 28, 2012
- Supreme Court backs death for Kasab (Fifth Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Supreme Court backs death for Kasab (Fourth Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Saba Qureshi new lawyer for 26/11 co-accused Ansari - Feb 22, 2010
- Apex court issues notice to 26/11 attack acquitted - Sep 02, 2011
- Supreme Court backs death for Kasab (Sixth Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Timeline of case against Kasab - Aug 29, 2012
- 26/11 attack case judge Tahaliyani elevated to Bombay High Court - Mar 15, 2011
- Pakistani court adjourns hearing of Mumbai terror-attack case - Feb 26, 2011
- Shiv Sena demands public hanging for Kasab - Aug 29, 2012
- Death for Kasab is victory of justice, says Ujjwal Nikam - Feb 21, 2011
- Three nabbed for killing 26/11 lawyer Azmi - Feb 17, 2010
- Apex court to hear Kasab's plea Monday - Oct 09, 2011
Tags: acquittal, activist, ansari, apex, apex court, bal thackeray, communal riots, critical condition, disruptive activities, groundwork, kurla, lashkar e taiba, law degree, perpetrators, post graduate course, suburb, tada, tender age, terror attacks, unidentified persons