Shahi Imam seeking time from PM to discuss terrorism, MuslimsOctober 20th, 2008 - 10:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 20 (IANS) Ahmed Bukhari, the Shahi Imam of the Jama Masjid here, has sought an appointment with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to discuss the current state of affairs of Muslims in India, especially the targeting of Muslims in the name of countering terrorism.“Muslims are severely offended at the indiscriminate arrests of the Muslim youths in the name of investigating bomb blasts and terrorist activities in different parts of the country, particularly in Mumbai, Ahmedabad, Hyderabad, Jaipur and Azamgarh and Delhi,” Bukhari said in his letter to the prime minister.
The community has expressed its distress and anger over the oppression of Muslims at the All India Muslim Organization conference held here Oct 14, the letter pointed out. Bukhari convened the meeting, which was attended by Muslim clerics, intellectuals and scholars of all sects.
“The conference has expressed its anguish and anger and concern over the rising incidents of oppression against the Muslims by the security forces and intelligence agencies and raised several question marks on the role of administration and police as well,” Bukhari said in the letter.
He also reiterated the demand for a judicial enquiry into the Sep 19 Jamia Nagar shootout in which two suspected terrorists were gunned down.
“A judicial commission should be set up to probe the incidents of encounters in different parts of the country along with Jamia Nagar encounter,” Bukhari said in the letter.
He has threatened to launch a mass campaign against the government by Muslim clerics, scholars and leaders if the enquiry is not ordered.
“We will wait for some time and if our demands will not be accepted then we will launch door to door campaign against the government. We are planning a massive rally in the last week of January 2009,” Bukhari told IANS.
- Maulanas ask Muslims to back Anna - Aug 22, 2011
- Azam refuses to call ceasefire with Bukhari - Apr 10, 2012
- Quran exhibition called off after protests - Sep 24, 2011
- Cancel my son-in-law's ticket: Bukhari - Apr 06, 2012
- Shahi Imam meets PM on Batla House shootout - Apr 03, 2010
- Shia youth group offers donation to build Ram temple - Oct 02, 2010
- Muslims to need to be a political force: Bukhari (Lead) - May 07, 2009
- Ramdev fast a political conspiracy: Bukhari - Jun 04, 2011
- Bukhari, Azam Khan spew fire - Apr 07, 2012
- Muslims should unite as a political force, say clerics at Delhi congregation - Oct 14, 2008
- High court issues notice to Bukhari, ASI (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Bukhari calls on Mulayam, seeks more Muslim say in governance - Apr 13, 2012
- Shahi Imam Abdullah Bukhari dead - Jul 08, 2009
- Uttar Pradesh mosques double up as primary schools (With Image) - Feb 07, 2012
- Ulema Council to hold rally in Lucknow - Feb 17, 2010