Seychelles to prosecute four piratesApril 30th, 2012 - 10:34 pm ICT by IANS
Copenhagen, April 30 (IANS) Denmark has reached an agreement with the Seychelles to prosecute four Somali pirates held on board a Danish warship, the Danish foreign ministry said.
Sixteen suspected pirates were detained by the warship Absalon, which is part of a NATO-led anti-piracy mission in the Gulf of Aden, following a security mission April 11.
“I am very glad that Denmark was able to put 16 pirates out of action and that with the current agreement with Seychelles, we are fortunate to ensure that four of the ring leaders will now be prosecuted,” Danish Foreign Minister Villy Soevndal said Sunday.
The agreement marks the second time that the Seychelles has agreed to prosecute suspected pirates detained by Danish warships, Xinhua reported.
- 12 hostages rescued from Somali pirates - Apr 13, 2012
- Danish warship rescues 12 hostages from Somali pirates - Apr 13, 2012
- Danish warship frees Pakistani, Iranian hostages - Jan 09, 2012
- Denmark to deploy surveillance aircraft against Somali pirates - Oct 28, 2011
- Hit hard, Seychelles seeks Indian help against pirates - Feb 20, 2012
- NATO warship seizes 'pirate mother ship' off Somalia - Feb 13, 2011
- India'a Dornier aircraft in Seychelles for anti-piracy operations - Feb 16, 2011
- Danish forces free 25 hostages held by Somali pirates - Feb 05, 2010
- Before US posting, Nirupama Rao speaks on maritime policy - Jul 28, 2011
- Indian warship thwarts pirate attack on Greek vessel - Jul 19, 2011
- 3 rescued sailors return home - Mar 16, 2011
- Somalian pirates threaten to kill captive Danish family - Mar 02, 2011
- UN Security Council adopts resolution to try Somali pirates - Apr 28, 2010
- Indian Navy foils another piracy attempt - Nov 11, 2011
- India signs pacts with Seychelles to combat piracy - Feb 15, 2012
Tags: absalon, anti piracy, copenhagen, danish, denmark, foreign minister, foreign ministry, gulf of aden, nato, ring leaders, second time, security mission, seychelles, somali pirates, villy, warship, warships, xinhua