Sexual assaults on the rise at US military academiesDecember 28th, 2011 - 9:35 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Dec 28 (IANS) Sexual assaults at American military academies increased sharply in the last academic year, says a new report from the department of defence.
Incidents of sexual assault rose by 60 percent during 2010-2011. A total of 65 reports involved cadets compared to a total of 41 reports in the previous year, CNN reported.
The defence department was, however, unable to cite definitive causes for the increase.
As part of the study, site visits were conducted at the US Military Academy in New York, US Naval Academy in Annapolis and the US Air Force Academy in Colorado.
Policies, training and procedures at the academies were reviewed, and focus groups were held with cadets.
“We know that the military academies are similar to college campuses around the country in that sexual harassment and assault are challenges that all faculty, staff and students need to work to prevent,” said Maj. Gen. Mary Kay Hertog, director of the Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Office.
“However, when it does occur, we owe it to those who have been victimised, and to every cadet, to do everything possible to provide needed support and to hold those who commit sexual assault appropriately accountable,” she said.
- US military unveils initiatives targeting sexual assault - Jan 19, 2012
- Russian military cadet dies in skydive - Apr 05, 2012
- Australian Army says sex scandal 'isolated' incident - Apr 09, 2011
- NCC to redefine training philosophy (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Coast Guard to get its own training academy - May 26, 2011
- Oz defence sexgate: Minister may order judicial inquiry - Apr 11, 2011
- China, Russia to hold joint naval drill - Apr 18, 2012
- Disabled men face far greater odds of sexual abuse - Oct 11, 2011
- Former fighter pilot named Canadian military chief - Aug 28, 2012
- College women's binge drinking tied to sexual assault - Dec 08, 2011
- Chinese defence minister in US to boost military ties - May 11, 2012
- Sexual assault an unseen foe for US troops - May 01, 2011
- Adarsh scam guilty will not be spared: Antony - May 28, 2011
- Security situation uncertain, says navy chief - May 31, 2011
- Nawaz Sharif calls for independent probe of Osama killing - May 12, 2011
Tags: academic year, air force academy, cadets, cnn, college campuses, colorado policies, defence department, definitive causes, department of defence, focus groups, hertog, mary kay, military academies, sexual assault prevention, sexual assaults, sexual harassment, us air force, us air force academy, us military academy, us naval academy