Several trapped as factory building collapses in Jalandhar (Lead)April 16th, 2012 - 9:32 am ICT by IANS
Jalandhar, April 16 (IANS) Several workers were feared trapped under debris after a four-storeyed factory building collapsed in Punjab’s Jalandhar city, 150 km from state capital Chandigarh.
Police said that the building of the blanket manufacturing factory, located in the city’s Focal Point area, collapsed following a blast in the factory’s boiler around midnight Sunday.
Over 70 workers were inside the factory — Sheetal Fibres — when the building collapsed.
Over 45 workers had been rescued till Monday morning. Many of them had injuries and thus admitted to hospitals here for treatment, said Deputy Commissioner Priyank Bharti.
Initial rescue efforts were hampered by the location of the factory being in a congested area and due to darkness.
A worker, with serious injuries, was rescued from the debris, officials said.
Rescue teams of the district administration were trying to rescue the remaining trapped workers. The rescue work was being carried out by personnel of the fire brigade and police.
The district administration has sought the help from the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) and the Army for rescue and relief operations. However, the NDRF team was yet to reach the collapse site Monday morning (at 7 a.m.)
The deputy commissioner said that the exact number of trapped workers was being ascertained. He said that the exact cause of the collapse was yet to be found.
“Information from the factory owners revealed that there were 60-70 workers inside the factory when the building collapsed,” Bharti said.
Rescue and relief operations were continuing despite early morning rain in the city.
- Jalandhar factory collapse: one dead, several trapped (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Jalandhar factory collapse kills two, probe ordered (Third Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Industrialist held after factory collapse leaves six dead - Apr 17, 2012
- Rescuers struggle to save buried workers in Punjab (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Worker rescued 55 hours after Jalandhar factory collapse - Apr 18, 2012
- Hopes recede of finding survivors in collapsed Punjab factory (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Jalandhar collapse: Worker rescued after 72 hours - Apr 19, 2012
- Several workers trapped as Jalandhar building collapses - Apr 16, 2012
- Toll in Jalandhar factory accident rises to 23 - Apr 22, 2012
- Two skyscrapers collapse in Brazil - Jan 26, 2012
- Nine trapped in China building collapse - Jun 20, 2011
- Toll in Delhi building collapse rises to 64, rescue work still on - Nov 16, 2010
- Ghaziabad building collapse toll at five (Lead) - Jul 17, 2011
- Building collapse toll is five, 16 critical (Second Lead) - Jul 17, 2011
- Rescue operations on at Delhi building collapse site - May 18, 2011
Tags: chandigarh police, collapse, deputy commissioner, disaster response, district administration, early morning rain, exact cause, exact number, fibres, fire brigade, focal point, jalandhar city, manufacturing factory, monday morning, national disaster, ndrf, rain in the city, relief operations, rescue efforts, response force