Several killed in Argentinian train crashFebruary 22nd, 2012 - 11:36 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 22 (IANS) Several people were killed and about 550 injured Wednesday in a commuter train crash at a station in the Argentine capital Buenos Aires, BBC reported.
Local reporters said they saw 12 bodies removed from the wreckage, with dozens of people still trapped.
The accident occurred as the train slammed into a barrier, located at the end of the platform at the Once station in the west of the city.
The commuter train hit the barrier at about 20 km per hour, destroying the front of the engine and crunching the carriages behind it, said transportation secretary J.P. Schiavi.
One of the carriages was driven nearly six metres into the next, he added.
“There are people still trapped, people alive,” Schiavi said in the evening.
Survivors told the TeleNoticias channel that many people had been injured in a jumble of metal and glass.
- 48 killed, hundreds injured in Argentinian train crash (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Argentina railway accident toll climbs to 50 - Feb 24, 2012
- 49 dead, 600 injured in railway accident in Argentina - Feb 23, 2012
- Argentine transport minister resigns - Mar 08, 2012
- Argentine government takes over train operator after crash - Feb 29, 2012
- Six dead in Argentina metro, bus collision - Sep 13, 2011
- India train accident death toll crosses 60 - Jul 11, 2011
- Rescue effort on at China high-speed train crash (Second Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- 14 killed in Karachi train collision (Second Lead) - Nov 04, 2009
- Argentina airline crash kills 22 - May 19, 2011
- 12 trapped after building collapse in Argentina - Aug 10, 2010
- Train derailment in central Poland kills 1, injures dozens - Aug 13, 2011
- Train crash in South Africa injures more than 850 - May 20, 2011
- 13 killed, 40 injured as trains collide in Madhya Pradesh - Sep 20, 2010
- At least 10 dead, many injured in Belgian train crash - Feb 15, 2010