Seven year jail for Telgi in stamp paper scamApril 17th, 2009 - 6:56 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, April 17 (IANS) A special sessions court Friday sentenced Abdul Karim Telgi, the kingpin in the multi-billion rupee fake stamp paper scam, to seven years’ rigorous imprisonment and a fine of Rs.125,000.
Along with Telgi, seven co-accused were also sentenced to jail for seven years with a fine of Rs.100,000 each in the first case registered in 1997 under various sections of the Indian Penal Code.
Former assistant police commissioner T.G. Sangram Singh, who was sentenced to three years’ rigorous imprisonment, was granted bail as he had already spent about 21 months in jail.
Pronouncing the judgement, sessions judge Chandrashekar Patil said Telgi and another co-accused Wazir Ahmed Salik would serve three-year jail term concurrently.
The other co-accused convicted with Telgi are Bhadruddin, Anand Thorat, Illiyaz Ahmed, Sohil Khan, Sadiq Ibrahim Hudli and Syed Moiuddin.
The special sessions court was set up by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on the directive of the Supreme Court as the fake stamp paper racket had inter-state ramifications with nationwide impact.
Singh, who was the city market police station inspector and caught the accused, was found guilty of improper investigation and filing a weak case to help the accused escape legal action.
The judgement was read out to all the accused through a video-conferencing from the Agrahara central jail on the outskirts of the city.
Telgi’s counsel T.T. Nanaiah pleaded with the judge to remit the sentence as his client was ailing and his wife was ill.
Telgi was also sentenced in June 2007 to 13 years imprisonment with a fine of Rs.2.02 billion (Rs.202 crore) on various counts in a case related to the scam by the special court for Maharashtra Control of Organised Crimes Act (MCOCA).
- Telgi seeks reduced sentence, fine in fake stamp paper cases - Nov 17, 2011
- Rajsthan court sentences seven years imprisonment to Telgi - Nov 13, 2009
- Telgi gets 7-year jail in fake stamp paper scam - Sep 18, 2010
- Court convicts Telgi, six others in multi-million rupee fake stamp case - Apr 20, 2009
- Telgi convicted in fake stamp paper case - Apr 23, 2009
- Court convicts Telgi and four others in fake stamp paper scam - May 02, 2009
- Telgi, five others get four-year imprisonment in one case - Jan 22, 2010
- Telgi sentenced to seven years rigorous imprisonment - Apr 17, 2009
- Telgi convicted in yet another fake stamp paper case (Lead) - Apr 23, 2009
- Court sentences Telgi to 7 years in jail - May 12, 2010
- Chopper case: Romesh Sharma gets 10-year jail (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- 62 convicted in fodder scam, 23 jailed - Jan 28, 2011
- Court notice to CBI on stamp paper scam - Jun 01, 2011
- Telgi gets seven years in jail for stamp paper scam - Jun 11, 2009
- Scam mastermind Telgi jailed for seven years, fined Rs.1.30 crore (Lead) - Jun 11, 2009