Seven women hurt in acid attack in Kolkata trainAugust 12th, 2010 - 12:19 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 11 (IANS) Seven women sustained burns when some miscreants hurled acid at a ladies compartment of a suburban train here Wednesday night, an official said.
An Eastern Railway spokesman said six of the victims were admitted to hospital with varying degrees of burns. Three of them were serious.
The incident occurred in Sealdah section of the Eastern Railway when the Baruipur-bound Sealdah local was about to leave Dhakuria station.
The reason for the acid attack was yet unknown, said Arul Jyoti, senior security commissioner (Sealdah division) of Railway Protection Force (RPF).
But a senior police officer said a boy wearing a cap boarded the ladies compartment at Ballygunge station apparently holding a beer bottle and continuously sprinkled the liquid on the women, who protested.
After he got down at Dhakuria station some miscreants carried out the acid attack.
The Government Railway Police, RPF and police later went to the spot to investigate the matter. No one has yet been arrested, an official said.
- Cigarette ban up in smoke in Kolkata stations - Nov 04, 2010
- Police nabs youth who threw acid on girl's face - Feb 01, 2012
- Incessant rains disrupt normal life in Bengal - Jun 17, 2011
- RPF amendment attempt to usurp states' powers: Jayalalithaa - Feb 29, 2012
- Railway police forces to join hands to curb crime - Aug 12, 2011
- Few people on road, trains affected in Bengal - Feb 28, 2012
- Seven trains cancelled after Bengal accident - Aug 01, 2011
- Four held for looting on trains - Sep 18, 2011
- One dead in Bengal train collision, Railways announce compensation (Lead) - Jan 08, 2012
- RPF constable dies - suicide or murder? - Jun 10, 2011
- Railways open helplines for news of West Bengal accident - Jul 19, 2010
- One dead in Bengal train collision - Jan 08, 2012
- Railway constable held for rape - Sep 06, 2012
- Five killed as train catches fire in Andhra Pradesh (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Two held for harassing women on train - Jul 03, 2011