Seven South Africans still trapped in Mumbai hotel

November 28th, 2008 - 4:12 am ICT by IANS  

Johannesburg, Nov 28 (Xinhua) Seven South Africans are still trapped in the Oberoi Trident Hotel in India’s commercial capital Mumbai following terrorist attacks that left over 100 people dead, the country’s foreign affairs department said Thursday.”Seven South African Airways (SAA) crew are still trapped in the Oberoi Hotel. Seven others, including three pilots are safe.” said department spokesman Ronnie Mamoepa, adding that the government was in contact with those still inside the hotel.

SAA earlier sent an aircraft to Mumbai to pick up its crew as well as other South Africans trapped in the hotel. SAA chief executive Khaya Ngqula said he was greatly relieved that all crewmembers in Mumbai had been located.

“We are now working to ensure that we bring them and our passengers back to South Africa safely,” he said. SAA had been informed that Mumbai’s airport remained secure and safe.

Meanwhile, South African President Kgalema Motlanthe joined world leaders in extending South Africa’s heartfelt condolences to the government and people of India, in particular to the families who lost their loved ones.

“The government has expressed its outright condemnation of the attacks,” said Mamoepa.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |

    Subscribe