Seven soldiers, three porters killed in Kashmir avalancheNovember 19th, 2008 - 1:26 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Nov 19 (IANS) Seven soldiers of the Indian Army and three porters were killed in avalanches near the Line of Control (LoC) in Nowshehra Nar area in Bandipore district of Jammu and Kashmir, police said Wednesday.Three porters were buried in an avalanche that struck the Nowshehra Nar area Monday. The army team that went to rescue them was caught in another avalanche Tuesday.
“The army had rushed a rescue team comprising of two officers and five jawans to trace the porters. However, the army rescue team was also buried under an avalanche,” Sheikh Junaid, superintendent of police of Bandipore district, told IANS.
“So far, bodies of two soldiers have been recovered from under the snow and search for the others is still on,” he added.
On Friday, Kashmir received this winter season’s first snowfall. Weathermen have forecast more rains and fresh snow Wednesday and Thursday, which might hamper the rescue efforts.
- Bodies of soldiers killed in Kashmir avalanche recovered - Jul 09, 2012
- US offers help in Pakistan avalanche rescue - Apr 09, 2012
- Kashmir avalanche: BSF officer's body recovered, six missing (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Five soldiers buried in Kashmir avalanche - Jan 24, 2012
- Gurez avalanche: Death toll rises to three - Mar 21, 2012
- LOC fencing extensively damaged by heavy snowfall, says commander - Feb 25, 2012
- Hope fading fast for Pakistan avalanche victims - Apr 09, 2012
- One army man killed as avalanche enters second day - Feb 09, 2010
- Eleven army personnel killed in Kashmir avalanches (Second Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Pakistan avalanche buries 135 people - Apr 08, 2012
- Officer, 16 soldiers killed in Kashmir avalanche (Fifth Lead) - Feb 08, 2010
- Snowfall cuts off Kashmir from rest of country - Jan 16, 2012
- One soldier killed, 13 rescued in north Kashmir avalanche - Feb 09, 2010
- CRPF jawans in Srinagar undergo training to rescue people stuck in avalanches - Feb 27, 2011
- Indian Army arrests Pakistani soldier in Jammu - Jul 12, 2012