Seven run over by truck in JodhpurMay 29th, 2012 - 12:29 am ICT by IANS
Jodhpur, May 28 (IANS) At least seven men were killed, while four others were seriously injured when a truck ran over the roadside pavement on which they were sleeping in Rajasthan’s Jodhpur town Monday, police said.
According to police, about a dozen people, mostly labourers, were sleeping on the pavement when the accident occurred around 4.30 a.m. near Bhati Circle in the city, some 350 km from Jaipur.
A senior police officer said: “Six of the labourers died on the spot, while one other succumbed to injuries at a hospital later. Four labourers are undergoing treatment and their condition is stated to be critical.”
After running over the labourers, the truck sped away. However, the vehicle was intercepted by the police some four km from the spot.
“The driver has been arrested. FIR has been registered against him. Some of the deceased’s family members are yet to be located and informed about the tragedy,” said the officer.
He added that these labourers were employed at nearby under-construction sites. “They used to sleep on the pavement after finishing the work,” said the officer.
- Four killed in two Rajasthan road accidents - Aug 22, 2012
- Seven killed in Rajasthan road accident - May 06, 2012
- Seven killed in Rajasthan building collapses - Jun 05, 2012
- Five killed, 20 injured in Rajasthan - Apr 13, 2012
- 8 killed, 18 injured in two Rajasthan accidents - May 11, 2012
- Four killed in Rajasthan bus accident - Apr 28, 2012
- Three monks killed in Jaipur car accident - Jun 28, 2012
- Two BSF men injured in training accident - Aug 07, 2012
- Two woman cops, three others killed in Rajasthan accidents - Jun 17, 2012
- Two college girls run over by truck - Jan 09, 2012
- Three mowed down by truck - Nov 03, 2011
- 7 child labourers drown in Rajasthan - Apr 10, 2012
- Criminals run truck over UP sub-inspector - May 17, 2012
- Boy's headless body found in rail compartment - Jan 27, 2012
- Road rage: Man burnt alive in Rajasthan - Jul 03, 2012