Seven people drown in West BengalSeptember 15th, 2010 - 8:15 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 15 (IANS) Seven people drowned as a trawler capsized in the Muriganga river near Kakdwip in West Bengal’s South 24 Pargans district, police said Wednesday.
South 24 Pargans Police Superintendent L.N. Meena, admitting capsizing of a trawler said: “Bodies of seven people were fished out from the river. Still 10 people were reported to be missing and we are expecting more casualties.”
“A trawler carrying at least 60 passengers from Sagar Island in the Bay of Bengal was coming to Kakdwip capsized when the trawler was about to reach the jetty at Lot number Eight of Kakdwip,” said the police chief.
Meena said: “After preliminary investigation it was revealed that the trawler capsized after a portion of it got stuck into the silt and sank immediately.”
“The local people started the rescue operation, which gain momentum after the divers and personnel of the state disaster management cell were pressed into the service. All the passengers rescued so far have been sent to Kakdwip hospital for treatment,” said Meena.
The district magistrate and sub-divisional police officer of Kakdwip and other senior district administrative officials are supervising the rescue operation.
A senior official said, “The divers and the Disaster Management Cell are facing problem to conduct the rescue operation in the dark. Initiatives have been taken for alternative arrangement.”
- Bengal trawler tragedy toll rises to 42 (Lead) - Nov 01, 2010
- Bengal trawler tragedy toll rises to 66 (Third Lead) - Nov 02, 2010
- Bengal trawler capsize toll rises to 82 - Nov 04, 2010
- Trawler tragedy toll rises to nine (Lead) - Sep 17, 2010
- Search on for three boat capsize victims in West Bengal - Sep 16, 2010
- West Bengal trawler capsize toll now 77 - Nov 03, 2010
- Death toll in Bengal trawler tragedy rises to 30 - Nov 01, 2010
- One more pilgrim's body fished out from Bengal river - Sep 17, 2010
- West Bengal trawler capsize toll rises to 82 (Lead) - Nov 04, 2010
- Bengal trawler tragedy toll rises to 62 (Second Lead) - Nov 01, 2010
- Bengal trawler tragedy toll rises to 69 - Nov 02, 2010
- Bengal trawler capsize toll rises to 76 (Lead) - Nov 02, 2010
- Bengal trawler capsize: Toll rises to 81 (Second Lead) - Nov 04, 2010
- Bengal trawler tragedy: Search operations resume - Oct 31, 2010
- Bengal trawler capsize toll rises to 23, 100 missing (Second Lead) - Oct 31, 2010
Tags: administrative officials, bay of bengal, casualties, disaster management, district magistrate, district police, gain momentum, jetty, kolkata, management cell, meena, number eight, police chief, police superintendent, preliminary investigation, s south, silt, state disaster, trawler, west bengal