Seven militants killed in Jammu and Kashmir (Lead)November 8th, 2008 - 9:10 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Nov 8 (IANS) Seven suspected guerrillas, including a top commander of Hizbul Mujahideen militant outfit, were killed Saturday in two gunfights with security forces in Jammu and Kashmir, a defence official said.Four militants were killed in a forested area of Doda and three were gunned down when they were allegedly attempting to inflitrate into the Indian side across the Line of Control (LoC) in Poonch.
The brigadier general staff of 16 Corps, Brig. Gurdeep Singh, said the army and the state police cordoned off a forested area of Dessa in Doda district following a tip off about the presence of a group of militants there. Dessa is 180 km northeast of Jammu.
“Four militants, including a deputy commander Hashim Khan, of the Hizbul Mujahideen militant outfit were killed,” Singh said.
In a related incident, Singh said, the army spotted a group of militants attempting to cross the LoC through Saujian in the Poonch district.
“Three militants were killed in the shootout while one soldier sustained minor ankle injury,” he said. The gun battle took place 200 metres inside the Indian territory, he added. The officer said that the army is conducting a search operation for a fourth militant suspected to be part of the group.
“The identification of the infiltrators will be done once the operation concludes, but they all are from Lashkar-e-Toiba (LET) outfit,” he added.
He described the operations as “success” for the security forces who have mounted offensive against militants in the run up to the state assembly election. The seven-phased election in the state begins Nov 17.
The security forces are on high alert in the troubled state to prevent any attempt by militants during or ahead of elections to mark disruptions.
- Hindu commander of Hizbul killed in Jammu - Jul 27, 2011
- Top Hizbul commander killed in Kashmir gunfight - Oct 08, 2011
- Two militants killed near Jammu - Nov 28, 2010
- Three infiltrators killed near LoC - Nov 08, 2008
- Hizbul Mujahideen militant arrested in Jammu region - May 16, 2012
- Slain Hizbul commander behind 30 civilians' killings: Army - Oct 14, 2011
- Ceasefire violation at LoC in J&K; - May 22, 2012
- Pakistan again violates LoC truce - Mar 22, 2012
- India to Pakistan: Truce violations jeopardise peace - Jun 23, 2012
- Hizbul Mujahideen militant killed in Awantipora - Mar 21, 2010
- Three Hizbul Mujahideen militants killed in Shopian encounter - Oct 14, 2010
- Two militants shot dead in Doda - Dec 16, 2009
- Army foils infiltration bid, arrests one - Feb 23, 2012
- Hizbul militant surrenders with family in Kashmir - Aug 29, 2010
- Three militants killed in Jammu and Kashmir - Jun 05, 2009