Seven Maoists get political prisoner statusAugust 8th, 2012 - 9:43 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 8 (IANS) The Calcutta High Court Wednesday granted status of political prisoners to seven Maoist leaders and sympathizers in West Bengal jails, the rebels’ counsel said.
The seven include Venkateshwara Reddy alias Telugu Dipak and Chhatradhar Mahato.
“Justice Kanwaljit Aluwalliah allowed our prayer granting the status of political prisoners. They have been languishing in jails for long and it is yet to be proved that they are Maoists and involved in violent activities,” counsel Subhasish Roy told IANS.
The others to get the status are Communist Party of India-Maoist spokesperson Gaur Chakrabarty, Sukhshanti Baskey, Shambhu Soren, Sagun Murmu and Prasun Chatterjee.
Deepak, a close associate of slain Maoist leader Koteshwar Rao alias Kishenji, is said to be the mastermind behind the Silda camp attack in West Midnapore district which left 24 Eastern Frontier Rifles soldiers dead. He was arrested in March 2010.
Tribal leader Chhatradhar Mahato was the spokesman of the Maoist backed Peoples Committee against Police Atrocities (PCAPA) and was arrested along with Chatterjee in 2009.
- Mamata sees peace in Maoist area, warns guerrillas (West Bengal Newsletter) - Aug 11, 2012
- Maoist killed in Junglemahal - Feb 05, 2012
- Are Maoists losing ground in West Bengal? - Dec 30, 2010
- Five Maoists among 82 prisoners writing Bengal board exams - Feb 23, 2011
- Top woman Maoist Suchitra Mahato headed lethal rebel squad - Mar 10, 2012
- Manhunt for Kishenji in Junglemahal, five arrested - Nov 23, 2011
- Kishenji aide, three other Maoists arrested - Jul 23, 2010
- CID begins probe into Kishenji's death - Nov 26, 2011
- Kishenji eliminated in Didi's regime - an irony? (West Bengal Newsletter) - Nov 27, 2011
- Kishenji's death not good for country: Shibu Soren - Dec 02, 2011
- Court allows jailed Maoist to contest polls - Apr 06, 2011
- Police comb forests, hunt for Kishenji's aides - Nov 25, 2011
- Elimination of Kishenji not planned, just happened: Mamata - Mar 09, 2012
- Gunfight in which Kishenji died genuine: CRPF - Nov 25, 2011
- Detained Maoists call off 12-day hunger strike - Dec 23, 2010
Tags: atrocities, calcutta high court, chatterjee, communist party of india, dipak, eastern frontier, jails, maoist, maoists, midnapore district, political prisoner, political prisoners, sagun, shambhu, soren, ssp, sympathizers, tribal leader, violent activities, west bengal